Views
Helpful
Replies

Avaya VOIP Question

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am connecting avaya 9630 VOIP phone to our cisco network. what is the cos / dscp markings the avaya phone uses by default?

6 Replies 6

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

The default Avaya Cos/DSCP markings are defined on the 'ip-network-region' form that is configured on the avaya device.

Please see the following link for more info on avaya IP Phones QoS values/configuration:

(page 15 shows an example of the avaya 'ip-network-region' form)

http://www.avaya.com/master-usa/en-us/resource/assets/applicationnotes/Config-autoqos.pdf

avaya_engineer
Level 1
Level 1

The default values are Diffserv/TOS = call control/signaling 34 and Audio is 46. 802.1 P/Q has call control priroity 7 and Audio at 6. They can be modified as the previous user stated via the ip-network-region form for the designated region.

The phone is tied to the region via the ip-network-map programming in the PBX.

hey avaya engineer,

why avaya use dscp 34? standard qos baseline puts this signalling in the 'interactive video' class/marking, ie: AF41.

why not standard CS3 or worst case AF31?

In all fairness, I believe they did it so if QoS was just turned on, but not configured at a site or between sites, their traffic would be placed in the higher priority que with no programming via the PBX. (Most people do not modify this page and leave it set as is)

i think without modifying the markings defined on the 'ip-network-region' on the avaya phone is to setup the port the phone is connected to on the cisco switch to overwrite whatever cos value coming from the phone.

I have a very large multisite Avaya PBX system, working on Cisco router and switches. The first thing I do is to make the Avaya phones work on the network like Cisco phones. One the 'ip-network-region' page I set call control to 24 (CS3), Leave RTP set to 46, and set video to 34 (AF41). I set the setting in the next field or 3, 5, and 4. respectively. In the 46xxsettings.txt file, I also set the phones with the same settings. And then if you really want to make certain that the phones are behaving, you can take those same settings from the 46xxsettings.txt file and use them in DHCP, although you may not need to.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: