Views
Helpful
Replies

2924XL multiple vlan interfaces

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I have a 2924XL switch with IOS: 12.0(5)WC9a. It is not letting em make 2Vlan interfaces active at a a timwe. If inter Vla1 active then, other Vlan have to 'shudown'. Is this limitation of switch or IOS..?

Please suggest.

Thank you

MS

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

MS

For a layer 2 switch such as the 2924 this is normal behavior. A layer 2 switch can have only a single VLAN interface active at a time.

I believe that perhaps you have confused having multiple VLANs active with having multiple VLAN interfaces active. The layer 2 switch can have multiple active VLANs but not multiple active VLAN interfaces.

Remember that a VLAN is a layer 2 entity and you can have multiple layer 2 VLANs be active on the switch. But a VLAN interface is a layer 3 entity which is configured on the layer 2 switch for management. And there can be only a single VLAN interface active at a time on a layer 2 switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you Rick..Iam not confused.. I am looking for some basic switch with 2 interface Vlans active at a time (for basic directly connected routing).What is the minimum switch/IOS you recommend.

Thank you

MS

The entry level L3 switch that you can purchase from Cisco is the 3560. See attached sheet for 3560 models comparison.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/prod_models_comparison.html

A 3550 is also a L3 switch but you can no longer purhcase them from Cisco. You may be able to get one from ebay or some such place.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card