cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Overwrite Running-config

uzmausmani
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to overwrite the running config with a new config. I have a new config in text which I want to use for a router which already has a bunch of crap on it. I cant tftp into it so I need another way of doing this. I tried copy pasting the new config but it just appends it of course..it doesnt overwrite. Help please

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ua

What I have done when I wanted a complete replacement of the running config was to tftp the new config to the router into startup config (which does do a complete replacement) and then to reboot the router which will load the new config cleanly in place of the old config. But if you are not able to tftp to the router then this will not work for you.

I am not aware of any other option for a clear replacement of running config.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I tried doing tftp but somehow even though I gave an IP to the routers E0 int and then connected to the router through that interface, and made sure they're both in the same subnet..they dont see each other..I cant ping from one to another!!! so cant tftp!!

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, the running config is changed when you add to or rewrite the config, when you save your changes they are copied into the start-up config. If the router is in production making changes to the config should be done with caution. What do you need to change? the interface config? the routing protocol? vlan assignment?. I usually will copy the selected change and past it onto the device, you need to be in config mode or interface mode depending on the change. Once you do wrote memory the current running config is ssaved as the startup config. let me know what you are changing I amybe able to help more, check out the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800a6744.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800a6744.shtml

The router is offline. The plan is to load a new config onto it and put it back on the network so it acts as a gateway between the production network and the LAB Network that we have setup here. So, this router has a bunch of snmp traps..dhcp logging etc that I want to get rid off. It would take me a long time to remove each one and then copy the new config....there has to be a better way!!

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

How about copying ALL files in nvram to flash (for backup purposes), if they exist in nvram, and doing a 'write erase' or 'erase nvram:'

Reboot your router then paste the new config and write it to nvram.

(of course, requires an outage of the routers services duing the reboot)

Or you can copy the new config to nvram (or flash for that matter) called 'new-config' for example; then use the 'boot config' command to specify the device and filename of the configuration file the router will use to initialize with...then reboot the router.

(this will save your startup-config and let you use the new config....test then delete the config you want when all testing successful)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: