cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAAS and VDI

mlouis
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone out there had any experience deploying a VDI solution that can take advantage of Cisco WAAS. I have read that WAAS can accelerate RDP when the default compression and encryption for RDP has been turned off. Is the performance comparable to what Expand is offering here?

http://www.expand.com/applications/vdi.aspx?URL=/applications/vdi.aspx

If not, will Cisco be offering an RDP application acceleration component to future versions of WAAS?

We have a lot of customers that are interested in seeing if the technologies can work well together.

TIA

Mike

2 Replies 2

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Mike,

I could point you to marketing numbers for RDP and ICA, but the actual performance improvement you will see is dependent on the environment. For both RDP and ICA, disabling encryption and compression allows for WAAS to leverage its own compression libraries, which in general we have found to provide higher reduction percentages.

Zach

StewartEXNet
Level 1
Level 1

Mike,

I don't believe that Cisco has a VDI solution yet. But in that case, your clients could try out Expand via their free trial if they have not already sprung for WAAS and see for themselves.

(www.expand.com)

I don't have all the particulars but I believe you can call the company and ask.

BR

Stewart