cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA version 7.2 - need to upgrade to 8.0..problems...

Hey there!

I tried upgrading my Cisco ASA 7.2 to version 8.0, but for some reason it didnt work. Something im doing wrong?

I loaded the .bin onto flash and pointed the boot up to the 8.0 version, but when i reboot it, it just comes back up to ROMMON.. so i put the old version back on there... Am i doing something wrong? BTW, i used a GUI for this.

6 Replies 6

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Use the following steps:

1 Load the new 8.0 image from the following website:

2 Reload the device so that it uses the 8.0 image.

3 Load the new ASDM image

4 Enter the following command, this will tell the adaptive security appliance where to find the ASDM image:

hostname(config)# asdm image disk0:/ asdm file

Will it keep the same configurations as the 7.2? Meaning I should only have to enter the only command for the ASDM image?

Hi Dustin,

First of all, just take a copy of your config to a tftp. Yes it will keep the same config except some that are related to web-vpn, due to high improvements on web-vpn in 8.0.

In this case, ASDM image has nothing to do with booting to rommon. Your 8.0 image might be invalid or you dont have enough RAM for 8.0 ios to extract itself.

Copy 7.2 bin to your tftp just in case, delete it from device, then copy 8.0 as following

copy tftp://tftpserverip/80.bin flash:image

Regards

Thank you for your response! How much RAM and flash RAM do i need for the 8.0?

what does the ROMMOM mean?

Thank you :)

Hi,

DRAM requirements for 8.0 are as follows.

ASA Model Default DRAM Memory (MB)

256MB

256MB

512MB

1024MB

4096MB

Flash Memory wise, idealy anything over 256MB. You start to chew this up quickly once adding web components in etc.

ROMMON is Read Only Memory MONitor. You tend to end up in ROMMON if one of these is true;

1.The configuration register (config-reg) is set like that

2.The dynamic RAM (DRAM) is bad or not enough

3.The device crashed and does not recover

4.The Cisco IOS Software image is corrupted or not present

Andy

Thank you!!!!

I will try to attempt this once more.. maybe start with another 8.0 image... maybe the one i have is currupt?

I will keep you updated

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco