Free TFTP server for Win2000 SERVICE PACK 2??

Unanswered Question
May 12th, 2008

Hi guys

I have a dinky old laptop which is running W2K with Service Pack 2 and no access to the Web - I use it as a console for my study lab.

Now I'm trying to TFTP some IOS images and getting nowhere; so I thought I'd download SolarWinds venerable ol' TFTP server; except it won't install because it says I need Service Pack 3 or higher.

Rather than mess with the existing OS install on this dinky ol laptop; does anyone know of a decent, free TFTP server out there that will work on Windows 2000 running Service Pack 2, and ONLY 2?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
srue Mon, 05/12/2008 - 18:19

try promises about its requirements though..

CriscoSystems Mon, 05/12/2008 - 18:44

You da MAN, srue!!!!!

It installed in 4 seconds and I have IOS images moving as I type this.

(Of course, they're moving over a 4Mbps token ring link, so I could keep on tyyyyping....)

scottmac Tue, 05/13/2008 - 06:49

Make sure you are using at least version 2 of 3cdaemon. Version works but is size-restricted.

If you try to load an image greater than 32M it will not work.

Also note that you should not keep 3cdaemon up all the time, as there are some significant security issues. It is meant to be a as-needed utility.

I use it frequently, I like it.

Also, for a more permanent FTP server or client, try FileZilla, it's good for pipe-loading, because it will run multiple sessions concurrently.

Good Luck

CriscoSystems Tue, 05/13/2008 - 09:35

Thanks for the heads-up ScottMac!!! I've got Version 2.0, Revision 10 installed. Security-wise there shouldn't be issues since it's within the perimeter of my self-contained study lab with no web access.

Also the 32MB shouldn't be an issue; since I don't think there's any IOS images of that size that I'll be using in my study lab (2500's and a 2610)?

But why do you like it; if it's got those limitations? SolarWinds is prob'ly my favorite so far. I used to have Cisco's TFTP server on an older Windows machine, and basically all it did was transfer files slowly and fill my screen with an unceasing stream of octothorpes yes OCTOTHORPES.

scottmac Tue, 05/13/2008 - 16:34

I don't have any real issues with SolarWinds, I've used it, it's OK. It does have the 32Meg limit, as do most TFTP servers.

I mentioned the 32 meg because, chances are, you will not be working in your lab environment forever, someday you'll be working on something like a 2800 series with Firewall, IDS, NAT, VoIP, etc ... and that's an image beyond 32Meg.

BTW: it doesn't fail with a message like "File too large" ... it just looks likes it's working fine, then it either stops & hangs, or looks like it finishes, but fails to send the file beyond the 32 meg.

I've used 3cdaemon since 3COM was a real company with business and everything (more than NICs ... big switches, routers, the works) ... It's an easy setup, does FTP and syslog too, and I've never had a problem running it, so why change?

I think you missed the point with the octothorps .. your' supposed to jack up the text size of your terminal screen and use 'em to play tic-tac-toe while you're waiting for the file to D/L.

V2Rev10 is the most recent release (and has been for years now), so it sounds like you have it covered.

Good Luck

srue Tue, 05/13/2008 - 17:26

3cdaemon or solarwinds is what i usually install - just depends on what strikes me at the time i'm looking for a tftp server.

i usually prefer a good openbsd box though for production purposes.

This Discussion