cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

user tracking acquisition problem

benjo.rulloda
Level 1
Level 1

Our client has Ciscoworks LMS 3.0 with Campus Manager 5.0.0. Just last week he encountered problems with user tracking acquisition. From a total end hosts of 545 now it only sees 9 end hosts.

I noticed that when I ran the "start UT acquisition" the process name UTMajorAcquisition is running normally. But when the start UT acquisition turns "idle" the UTMajorAcquisition is "Transient terminated."

Tried to access the Debugging Options but can't open the file.

I've also attached herewith the pdshow result of the server. Do you think we need to upgrade the version of Campus Manager?

Appreciate your help on this.

26 Replies 26

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Transient terminated is a healthy state for UTMajorAcquisition. It means that an acquisition has been run, then and was completed. What was the exact error you got when trying to access debugging options?

Hi Joe,

We installed an update on our Ciscoworks LMS 3.0 with CiscoWorks_LMS_3.0_Dec_2007_Update.exe but were still encountering user tracking problems. Were still stuck with just 9 end hosts discovered.

I tried to access the Campus Manager>Admin>Debugging Options>User Tracking Reports and open the file Cmapps.log but cannot understand what it shows.

Any idea on what else is wrong with the server? Appreciate your help on this.

That log has nothing to do with UT acquisition. You will need to enable user tracking debugging under Campus Manager > Admin > Debugging Options > User Tracking Server. Then run a new UT acquisition.

Of course, some obvious things to check are to make sure the switches with missing users show up properly on the Topology Map with a green switch icon. If you are using SNMPv3, make sure you are running code on the switches which support SNMPv3 contexts, and you have properly configured the switch to allow context polling.

Hi Joe,

We have this configuration on our switches:

snmp-server group ***** v3 auth write *****

snmp-server view ***** internet included

snmp-server user ***** ****** v3 auth md5 *****

snmp-server host 192.169.1.130 version 3 auth *****

I have changed some parameters with an asterisk but those are mainly usernames and passwords.

Is there something lacking on our configuration?

You have not configured any support for polling SNMPv3 contexts. You need to run "show snmp context" and for each context listed, add a line :

snmp-server group **** v3 auth context CONTEXT

Only then will User Tracking be able to poll for MAC addresses in each of the VLANs on the switch. Note: SNMPv3 contexts are not nor ever will be supported on 2950 series switches, or any device running 12.1 code.

The "show snmp context" shows all my vlans for the switch. Where will I configure the line "snmp-server group **** v3 auth context CONTEXT"? On global configuration?

Yes. You must add one such entry for each VLAN context.

I can enable it globally but one entry for each VLAN context? How do you do that? I have an option of access-list on the command: snmp-server group ***** v3 auth context CONTEXT access. Do I have to configure access-list on it to permit vlans?

You have to type the command I mentioned once for each VLAN context. The commands do not overwrite each other. They will be appended to the config. You can add your ACL on the end if you want.

I have no option of VLAN on the command you've given me. Even if I go to the interface vlan configuration, there is no available command for snmp-server group. Or even on the vlan configuration there is no option for snmp. How do I do this VLAN context configuration?

Use the command I sent you previously. For example, say you have a context called vlan-6. You would configure:

snmp-server group v3group v3 context vlan-6

You need to do this for every VLAN context.

Hi Joe,

We have already configured the snmp context command as you have said on our client's Cisco 3550 but user tracking is still not working. Here's how I configured it:

switch(config)# snmp-server user trendsadmin tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth md5 trends@dm1n

switch(config)# snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth write trendsRW

switch(config)# snmp-server view trendsRW internet included

switch(config)# snmp-server host 192.169.1.130 version 3 auth trendsadmin

When I do a show run on the switch, here's what I get:

switch# show run

snmp-server group trendsadmin v3 auth notify *tv.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFF

F0F

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth write trendsRW

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-1

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-2

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-3

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-4

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-8

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-13

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-14

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-15

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-16

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-17

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-54

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-55

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-56

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-57

snmp-server group tr3nd5n3tw0rk v3 auth context vlan-99

snmp-server view trendsRW internet included

snmp-server host 192.169.1.130 version 3 auth trendsadmin

I have also attached a screenshot of the SNMP credential of the said switch. What seems to be lacking on the switch's configuration or on the snmp credential?

What version of code is this switch running?

Hi Joe,

Found out that the Cisco 3550 switch was replaced by a Cisco 2950 which you said does not support snmp version 3 context command. Problem is we reverted back to snmp version 1 for all the switches including the Cisco 4500 but when I enabled user tracking acquisition, the table shows no IP address, just the mac-address and the port on the switch it is connected to.

The initial setup of Ciscoworks was that we have snmp version 1 running, then apply version 3 and reverted back to version 1 for user tracking to work again just like it did when we started running the application.

Any idea on how we can resolve this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: