cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement router for internet connection

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of replacing our aging 3640 supporting one of our secondary internet links. The 3640 was put into place several years ago just because that is what we had on the shelf and the link is only a T1. We are trying to decide between a 2800 series and a 3800 series replacement. Since this is simply a "backup" link with a T1, We are thinking that the 2800 series would be ok since they do well up to about 6Mb of bandwidth.

We are looking for opinions and/or comments as to whether or not this platform will sufice or should be just step up to the 3800 series we use for our large corporate links?

Brent

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brent

I suspect that there is some more to the situation than what is described here. But if the router needs to handle a single T1 and some LAN interface then a 2800 would certainly be sufficient.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

sirdudesly
Level 2
Level 2

For a purely backup router I suspect that a 2800 series will be just fine. Ideally you don't even want the router to get much use I assume?

It will have a few Lan-to-LAN connections on a regular basis just to monitor for issues on the link. It is also the backup path for the VPN clinets but other than that it is basically waiting for the primary link to fail.

We are thinking 2821 security bundle with maybe a memory increase for routing tables and possibly an IDS. Think the IDS may be a bit much since this is simply a backup link.

Brent

Brent

It seems to me that the 2821 would be good for what you describe.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Any of the 2800 series will handle a single T1, however you might also take note of how many and what type of modules the particular model will accept and whether you might desire to add additional WAN bandwidth in the near future when making your decision.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card