Typical work day?

Unanswered Question
May 13th, 2008

Have been on the telco side of networking for a number of years and have the opportunity to switch to the customer networking end of things. I have passed the ICND1 exam and in a month will take the ICND2. I want to get an entry level position. My question is what is the typical day like for a network engineer in either a TAC or in-the-field setting? I know how a typical day is on the telco side, both in a call center and in the field. Any anecdotal information, or a general outline of the tasks involved would be helpful. Thanks to everyone.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
jim_berlow Tue, 05/13/2008 - 14:06

I can only offer you my perspective as I have not worked for TAC. I work in the field installing routers and switches. Basically my day starts at 8 AM and on a typical day I finish at 6 PM. These hours are used in troubleshooting issues, designing networks, working on projects, or "other duties as assigned". I work on average 2 after hour shifts each week (starting at midnight and ending at 3 AM) installing & troubleshooting routers, switches, and circuits. On a typical week, I work between 50-60 hours. About one week a month, I also have on call duties where I carry the rotational cell phone and assist users outside normal work hours.

Anyhow, that is what my typical work week is like. I should also mention that I usually have to travel to perform my afterhours work. Usually under an hour drive, but sometimes I have to get on a plane and that adds hours to my work week.

Does this help?

schantze27 Wed, 05/14/2008 - 07:52

Yes, that was a good outline, Jim. Thank you. Looking at the job descriptions that are out there, I have noticed a few similar to your field position as far as tasks, and travel being involved. I need to decide if I want to stay in a TAC type environment or get out like you do to avoid cabin fever. I have over a decade of experience troubleshooting and installing everything from dial tone circuits to gigabit optical circuits remotely, but getting out in the field does have it's appeal to me. You do put in a healthy amount of hours per week. Thanks again.

Actions

This Discussion