DCE across WAN

Unanswered Question
May 13th, 2008

Is it possible to DCE timing on a router using a RS530 standard? I have two routers connected across a WAN (using WIC-1T). One router has a RS530 cable for DCE and the other has a RS530 cable for DTE. I setup the clockrate on the DCE side but protocol is still down.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 05/13/2008 - 14:06

Hi, A DCE cable is wrong if you're connecting normally to a WAN. You need DTE cables both sides of the circuit.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

jonathancert Tue, 05/13/2008 - 14:24

The DCE devices I am forced to use do not provide any type of timing. So i was told I have to make one of the routers DCE. I have a crossover cable connecting the DCE router to the DCE modem on one side and a direct connection from the modem to the DTE router on the opposite side. One more thing, the CTS is not up on the DCE router. Is this a problem of concern.

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 05/14/2008 - 06:22

DCE by definition must provide timing. A DCE cable will never work to a DCE, as all signals are crossed. Check you WAN SP because from what they told you, they don't have it clear.

jonathancert Wed, 05/14/2008 - 08:34

Thank everyone for their advice, but with some long hours was able to solve the problem. Had to loop back a bunch of signals leads on the router side. Everything is up and running.

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 05/14/2008 - 08:53

Good to know, but perhaps had you got the right cable you would have been spared the hard work.

It is not normal to make hardware modification to get a circuit up and running with cisco routers.

Actions

This Discussion