cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCE across WAN

jonathancert
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to DCE timing on a router using a RS530 standard? I have two routers connected across a WAN (using WIC-1T). One router has a RS530 cable for DCE and the other has a RS530 cable for DTE. I setup the clockrate on the DCE side but protocol is still down.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, A DCE cable is wrong if you're connecting normally to a WAN. You need DTE cables both sides of the circuit.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

The DCE devices I am forced to use do not provide any type of timing. So i was told I have to make one of the routers DCE. I have a crossover cable connecting the DCE router to the DCE modem on one side and a direct connection from the modem to the DTE router on the opposite side. One more thing, the CTS is not up on the DCE router. Is this a problem of concern.

DCE by definition must provide timing. A DCE cable will never work to a DCE, as all signals are crossed. Check you WAN SP because from what they told you, they don't have it clear.

Thank everyone for their advice, but with some long hours was able to solve the problem. Had to loop back a bunch of signals leads on the router side. Everything is up and running.

Good to know, but perhaps had you got the right cable you would have been spared the hard work.

It is not normal to make hardware modification to get a circuit up and running with cisco routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco