Views
Helpful
Replies

Print list of AP wireless MAC's

Nathan Spitzer
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone,

I have 150 LWAPP AP's connected to 3 4400 controllers running 5.0.148 and managed by WCS. My company specifies that we must use Air Defense as a wireless IDS system (don't get me started) so I need to load all my MACS into Air Defense so it knows what is an authorized AP. I need to be a able to run a report listing every wireless MAC address currently in use so that I can do an import and so far I cannot figure out how to do it! I would think this would be simple but I guess not. Anyway, does anyone have any idea how to do this?

Prefereble the output would be a CSV with the following fields:

AP name,SSID,radio(a,b,g),wireless mac

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Mmm, I can't think of any simple way of doing this from the controller... I would run a show client summary, which gives client MAC, AP, radio... you are missing the SSID, which is given with the show client detail (but too extensive)... then copy paste to a word to change spaces to tabs, and then excel for CSV... not the easiest way.

Of course, if you have WCS, you simply run a client association report and export to CSV... maybe do you have a SNMP management station you could send the SNMP clients information to?

hth

Jerome

Sorry, I was not clear. I need the MAC's of the AP's themselves, not of the clients.

In addition, I am an awk/sed kind of guy so if I get to much information, thats OK as I can parse that out in a sec.

You can do this via WCS using the inventory report and select CSV as your output. You also can email the results as well

Whenever I do this I get the ethernet MAC but not the Wireless Mac(s)

It can be done thru reports| Access point reports| AP profile status.

You can pick & choose how you want the report broken down

You can also export it and use sed+awk. You will want the 2nd column

DONE

That did it, thanks alot

Nathan Spitzer
Level 1
Level 1

Guys, you cannot do what I want, but here is the details of a TAC case I opened for posterity:

Problem Details: Current setup:

2 SSID's

3 x 4400 WLC's running 5.0.148

138 x 1242 AP's

WCS 5.0.56.2

My corporation mandates the use of a third-party tool for Wireless IDS. In order for this

to work I need to import a file with the following information:

AP Name,SSID,Wireless MAC

I cannot find out how to figure out what MAC is currently being used to broadcast a

particular SSID. All reports in WCS I can find return the base MAC, not the MAC an AP is

using to actually broadcast a particular SSID. For example, I have an AP with a base MA of

00:19:a9:fe:90:50 broadcasting 2 SSID's:

AP1 SSID1 00:19:a9:fe:90:5f *Notice the last charater of the MAC!!

AP1 SSID2 00:19:a9:fe:90:51 *Notice the last charater of the MAC!!

I need a report that returns the information above

Answer:

believe you are trying to find every BSSID Mac address that is in your wireless network. Unfortunately, there is no way to generate a report of all of these mac addresses. However, there is a systematic way to find the mac addresses from the base radio mac (which is listed in the controller/wcs)

There will be a different mac for both the B/G radio and the A radio per WLAN.

For this example I'm going to assume the base radio MAC ends in "d0".

(The very last value in radio MAC is always 0)

To get the B/G Radio SSID MACs:

Start at the base radio MAC and increment for each WLAN ID....

WLAN 1 ends in d0

WLAN 2 ends in d1

WLAN 3 ends in d2

WLAN 4 ends in d3

etc...

To get the A Radio SSID MACs:

Start with the last value 'F' and decrement for each WLAN ID...

WLAN 1 ends in df

WLAN 2 ends in de

WLAN 3 ends in dd

WLAN 4 ends in dc

etc...

Using this pattern, from 00:19:a9:fe:90:50, you found:

00:19:a9:fe:90:5f -- this would be WLAN 1 for the A Radio

00:19:a9:fe:90:51 -- this would be WLAN 2 for the B/G Radio

You should also have 2 more mac addresses from this AP:

00:19:a9:fe:90:5e -- WLAN 2 for the A radio

00:19:a9:fe:90:50 -- WLAN 1 for the B/G Radio

So each SSID will have 2 specific mac addresses, one for each radio.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this topic or if I can be of further assistance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: