Views
Helpful
Replies

Print list of AP wireless MAC's

Nathan Spitzer
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone,

I have 150 LWAPP AP's connected to 3 4400 controllers running 5.0.148 and managed by WCS. My company specifies that we must use Air Defense as a wireless IDS system (don't get me started) so I need to load all my MACS into Air Defense so it knows what is an authorized AP. I need to be a able to run a report listing every wireless MAC address currently in use so that I can do an import and so far I cannot figure out how to do it! I would think this would be simple but I guess not. Anyway, does anyone have any idea how to do this?

Prefereble the output would be a CSV with the following fields:

AP name,SSID,radio(a,b,g),wireless mac

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Mmm, I can't think of any simple way of doing this from the controller... I would run a show client summary, which gives client MAC, AP, radio... you are missing the SSID, which is given with the show client detail (but too extensive)... then copy paste to a word to change spaces to tabs, and then excel for CSV... not the easiest way.

Of course, if you have WCS, you simply run a client association report and export to CSV... maybe do you have a SNMP management station you could send the SNMP clients information to?

hth

Jerome

Sorry, I was not clear. I need the MAC's of the AP's themselves, not of the clients.

In addition, I am an awk/sed kind of guy so if I get to much information, thats OK as I can parse that out in a sec.

You can do this via WCS using the inventory report and select CSV as your output. You also can email the results as well

Whenever I do this I get the ethernet MAC but not the Wireless Mac(s)

It can be done thru reports| Access point reports| AP profile status.

You can pick & choose how you want the report broken down

You can also export it and use sed+awk. You will want the 2nd column

DONE

That did it, thanks alot

Nathan Spitzer
Level 1
Level 1

Guys, you cannot do what I want, but here is the details of a TAC case I opened for posterity:

Problem Details: Current setup:

2 SSID's

3 x 4400 WLC's running 5.0.148

138 x 1242 AP's

WCS 5.0.56.2

My corporation mandates the use of a third-party tool for Wireless IDS. In order for this

to work I need to import a file with the following information:

AP Name,SSID,Wireless MAC

I cannot find out how to figure out what MAC is currently being used to broadcast a

particular SSID. All reports in WCS I can find return the base MAC, not the MAC an AP is

using to actually broadcast a particular SSID. For example, I have an AP with a base MA of

00:19:a9:fe:90:50 broadcasting 2 SSID's:

AP1 SSID1 00:19:a9:fe:90:5f *Notice the last charater of the MAC!!

AP1 SSID2 00:19:a9:fe:90:51 *Notice the last charater of the MAC!!

I need a report that returns the information above

Answer:

believe you are trying to find every BSSID Mac address that is in your wireless network. Unfortunately, there is no way to generate a report of all of these mac addresses. However, there is a systematic way to find the mac addresses from the base radio mac (which is listed in the controller/wcs)

There will be a different mac for both the B/G radio and the A radio per WLAN.

For this example I'm going to assume the base radio MAC ends in "d0".

(The very last value in radio MAC is always 0)

To get the B/G Radio SSID MACs:

Start at the base radio MAC and increment for each WLAN ID....

WLAN 1 ends in d0

WLAN 2 ends in d1

WLAN 3 ends in d2

WLAN 4 ends in d3

etc...

To get the A Radio SSID MACs:

Start with the last value 'F' and decrement for each WLAN ID...

WLAN 1 ends in df

WLAN 2 ends in de

WLAN 3 ends in dd

WLAN 4 ends in dc

etc...

Using this pattern, from 00:19:a9:fe:90:50, you found:

00:19:a9:fe:90:5f -- this would be WLAN 1 for the A Radio

00:19:a9:fe:90:51 -- this would be WLAN 2 for the B/G Radio

You should also have 2 more mac addresses from this AP:

00:19:a9:fe:90:5e -- WLAN 2 for the A radio

00:19:a9:fe:90:50 -- WLAN 1 for the B/G Radio

So each SSID will have 2 specific mac addresses, one for each radio.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this topic or if I can be of further assistance.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card