Views
Helpful
Replies

mac-address flapping

S. Hasan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

what are the possible causes of Mac-Address Flapping?

i have recived messages in my switch for the mac-address flapping ( Mac-Address 0201.0000.0000)

Thanks & Regards,

Raheel

14 Replies 14

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The switch is learning the same MAC address via 2 different switchports.

__

Edison.

usually it happens that STP disables.

any other resons??

raheel

can you provide with the error msg log,

if possible also the config on the switch. show tech-supp if possible.

shelgaonkar
Level 1
Level 1

Check the OS of the machine which is connected to that port,from which the specfic mac address is identified.If it is a server OS,then disable the Network load balancing (NLB) service.

Let me know if my solution helps you.

yes this port is connected with win 2000 server with load balancing option.

how can i fix it widout disabling this load balanicg option at switch end.

raheel

Load balancing is happening on server not switch.Remove the NLB service from TCP/IP configuration of the server

This is the requiremnt of the system. now i want to fix flapping message error without disabling the load balancing service.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Do you use etherchannel? Check your etherchannel configuration between switches.

Regards,

Dandy

ehterchannel is not configured

If you have 'load balancing' configured at the server, you must also configure 'load balancing' at the switch, otherwise it won't work.

At the switch side, configure the following on the ports where this server is connected.

interface fx/x

channel-group x mode on

Note, replace the x in the channel-group with the port-channel number you want to use for this implementation. You also need to do this command on both ports at the same time if possible. Do this procedure during a maintenace window

HTH,

__

Edison.

NIC's of this server are conected with two diffreent switches.and both switches could not communicate with each other.

can you please assist me that how can i configure load balancing.

or is there any other solution if any

thanx - raheel

Hi

Take a look at this link. How to conigure cisco to work with NLB

http://www.internetworkpro.org/wiki/Configuring_Cisco_to_work_with_a_Windows_NLB_Cluster

/Mikael

this server are conected with two diffreent switches

Well, that changes the whole design suggestion. It can't be done. Please disable the load-balancing in the server to avoid the mac-address flapping in your switch network.

I'm not a server guy but I believe you can enable some kind of load-balancing in the server without sending the same MAC address to the switch. I believe the option is fault-tolerance or load-sharing.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: