Views
Helpful
Replies

iBGP as IGP in DMVPN Problems

mnlatif
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Is it possible to run iBGP as the IGP in a DMVPN (instead of EIGRP\OSPF) ?

I am testing a deployment scenario where the iBGP connection always fails after initially coming up (stays up for around 30 minutes. The spoke says that it did not get the BGP keepalive message, while the Hub appears to be sending the keepalives.

If I run EIGRP then the same setup works fine and the EIGRP neighbor relationship never goes down.

Is iBGP not supported in DMVPN ? OR Is there some special NHRP configuration required for this ?

The Hub has a Public IP, while the Spoke is behind a firewall and using NAT-T for the IKE\IPSec setup.

Thanks,

Naman

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

BGP is an exterior routing protocol, and thus only advertises prefixes you specify with a corresponding next-hop address. Also with BGP, when establishing peerings between IBGP routers i.e. BGP routers in the same AS, you will need to establish a full mesh setup - either by configuring separate TCP sessions between spokes or using route-reflectors or confederations.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: