cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No IOS, Switch boots up with Switch:

grichardson661
Level 1
Level 1

I've recently got my hands on another 2900 XL switch for my lab at home but it doesn't seem to have an IOS installed. My plan is to load the IOS from my other 2900 XL Switch and on to this one... I have the bin (IOS) file on my PC and i'm connected to the Switch with no IOS via a console port.

The Switch as it stands is sat at

Switch: its like its in ROMMON mode, not sure. Can anyone advise which areas i shoud start to look in to get this IOS insalled. It seems the documents i have been reading talk about updating the IOS from the IOS, but in my case i dont have an IOS installed... :-(

Any advice would be great!

Thanks.

Garry

4 Replies 4

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Checkout if this option is available from rommon.

Rommon > Set IP_ADDRESS=x.x.x.x

Rommon > Set IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

Rommon > Set DEFAULT_GATEWAY=x.x.x.y

Rommon > Set TFTP_SERVER=abcd

Rommon > Set TFTP_FILE=ios_image.bin

Rommon > tftpdnld

Or the other method is xmodem, but that process takes too long.

rsohi
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, sounds like you are in rommon. This should help, but it uses xmodem which can take a while to transfer the bin file.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094955.shtml#mon

regards,

Raj

Cheers guys, i'll take a look later when i'm home. At work at the minute.

hi,

First see if there is still ios available in the switch.

switch>dir flash:

if you see the ios image with .bin then you can set the boot from the switch prompt.

switch>boot flash:image name.bin

if this does not work you can upload the ios you want with xmodem. tftp

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094955.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: