Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 for Avay-Cisco Integration

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello All,

This is my first time doing intergration btw two phone systems from two differnet vendors. I am integrating an Avaya G3 V12 in Honduras with a CCM5.1 in Boston. I have a 2821 GW in Boston and am installing another 2821 in Honduras for the integration purpose. Apparently, there's no PRI technology in Honduras but as I was told there's E1. My first question is can I use E1 for this integration? And my second but the most important one is:

Let's say the telco will terminate the E1 in the telcom room in our office in Honduras and I use a RJ48 cable to connect the E1 into my newly installed 2821 GW E1 card. The E1 has one end in my telcom room and it's used to connect to my GW. How am I going to connect the GW to the Avaya Media Server? I know this sounds like easy to understand but I don't see how I can use an E1 coming from the local provider to my GW and then to the Avaya Media server. Could you please shade some lights that I can better understand the Architecture? Is this how they will be connected?

Avaya (Honduras)-->PSTN (Honduras)-->2821-Integration-GW (Honduras)-->2821GW (Boston) -->CCM5.1

Does the provider install the E1 for the integration in a different way?

8 Replies 8

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

You're going to need a trunk of some kind from the avaya system to your call manager system.

(usually to a cisco voip gateway)

Please see the following link for trunks on avaya:

http://support.avaya.com/elmodocs2/sip/Cisco-SES.pdf

(taken from http://esearch.avaya.com/r/results.asp?SITE=com&querytext=cisco+trunk )

Thanks Greg,

We already have an E1 R2 which connects our site at Honduras to the Telco. Do I need to install another E1 just for the Avaya-Cisco integration, or I can use the existing one?

Thanks,

Hi, I think you have multiple design choices:

1. telco E1 goes to PBX. Said PBX also has 2nd E1, configured as PRI if possible, to ISR router.

Pro: burden of E1 R2 config is on PBX and their technicians.

Cons: need a 2nd E1 port on PBX and exact configuration of the latter for your global dialplan.

2. Like .1. but instead of E1, there is a sip or h.323 trunk between PBX and ISR.

Pro: No E1 ports on ISR and DSP unless you want to trascoding.

Cons: need an IP-to-IP GW image on ISR.

3. like .2. but the telco E1 goes into ISR router instead.

Similar pro/cons as in .2.

4. Telco E1 goes into ISR. Said ISR has a 2nd E1 that goes into PBX.

Pro: good control of calls.

Cons: more config, more router ports, more DSPs on it.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks paolo for the great info. It's very helpful. If you were to choose one of those 4 options, which one would you go with? As I said, we already have an E1 R2 which is used for inbound and outbound calls to/from telco. My question is; do I need a second E1 from Telco for Avaya-Cisco integration or I can use the existing one?

My very last queston is, do I need two VWIC-2MFT-E1 or VWIC2-2MFT-E1/t1 card installed in the ISR?

Thanks,

Paolo,

Would it be possible for you to reply to my post?

Thanks,

Hi, the options above details exactly how many ports you need and where. Take the time to examine them, draw a schematic, then choose the one that better matches your situation.

All options will work.

Thanks Paolo,

But I still have one unanswered question. Do I need a seperate E1 dedicated for Avaya-Cisco Integration or I can use the existing one which is for our normal inbound/outbound calls?

Cheers,

MK

This is what I was trying to tell you before. E1 is strictly point-to-point so when you connected things together you need as many ports as many devices you are connecting. You cannot reuse the same E1 for more than one thing.