Advice for a CCNA

Unanswered Question
May 14th, 2008

I have my CCNA and am having a difficult time finding any opportunities. I have started on the CCNP track. Is that a good idea or should I just wait until I get into the field first?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jim_berlow Thu, 05/15/2008 - 15:59

Finding work with just a CCNA is difficult within today's industry (unlike the old dot com days where CCNA jobs were much more plentiful). Education in general is a good thing and will help you with your career.

No certification is a guarantee of a job, though (even the CCIE). But, that really isn't the point of certification. Certification is designed to validate that you already know how to do x-y-z. If you don't have experience to back up that certification, it really doesn't show employers that you are skilled to do that job.

So how do you get those skills without the job then? There are a variety of ways to get your foot in the door, but I would like to point out the value of volunteer work. There are a lot of non-profit groups out there that have complicated networks without the means to maintain them. This is an excellent way to gain experience and at the same time show future employers how committed you are to this industry.

In the meantime, keep working at that CCNP. If you have any interest in voice, let me point out that there are many more opportunities for those with CCVP certifications. In my area there is such a shortage of voice folks that employers are hiring unseasoned CCVP's then putting them through training to get them up to speed. So that is also something to consider (and CCVPs are making as much money as CCIE R&S people). However, that's another discussion - some people like working voice and some do not.

Anyhow, just my thoughts. Good luck with what you do!

Jim

kevonini24 Thu, 05/15/2008 - 18:14

Thanks for the advice. I have a question though, there are two paths to the CCVP cert. which one do you recommend be taken or does it really matter.

Actions

This Discussion