Latest CCNA

Answered Question
May 14th, 2008
User Badges:

My CCNA(version 3) is due to be renewed by Feb 2009, looking over the new version it looks like things have totally changed.

Would this be a relatively correct assumption?

Looks like ISDN's taken a back seat :P

Correct Answer by brianjpisa about 8 years 10 months ago

From what you told me your interested it, that is what I would do if I were in your shoes. If you have the BSCI and BSMSN passed by the time you get a job, it can dictate what path you should choose. If you get a job working with designing networks more, CCDP would be the path to go for. If your configuring and troubleshooting routing and switching more, then CCNP would be more beneficial.

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
brianjpisa Thu, 05/15/2008 - 05:33
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

From the blueprint online, they add topics like voip and wireless. It does look harder. Instead of taking the CCNA test to renew, you could take any 642 level exam and that will renew your CCNA.

sirdudesly Thu, 05/15/2008 - 05:50
User Badges:

Are there any specific texts that anyone suggests reading up on if go the 642 route?

brianjpisa Thu, 05/15/2008 - 05:59
User Badges:

It depends on what your interested in. The 642 level tests are ones for CCxP and specialization exams. Are you planning on going for any higher level cisco certs? You could take an exam from the CCNP track if you are interested in routing and switching, CCSP for security, CCVP for voice, etc. Here is a link to all the certifications and specializations:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

If the test number starts with a 642, that would renew your CCNA for 3 more years if you pass it.

sirdudesly Thu, 05/15/2008 - 06:30
User Badges:

It's one of those things I really need to sit down and work out if it's worth going higher or branching out.

I've got a year and a half left until I finish university (I did my CCNA when I was at highschool) so I probably should hit up the classified and see what sort of combination the jobs are looking for. Ideally I want to work in a more planning role than an actual doing I think (but I still 'enjoy' working with routers/switches etc)

So perhaps the CCDA path is for me

brianjpisa Thu, 05/15/2008 - 06:36
User Badges:

If you want to design networks, then CCDx is definitely the way to go. The CCDA does not renew the CCNA. Any of the 3 tests for CCDP will. If looking what will give you a job the easiest, voice is really hot now.

sirdudesly Thu, 05/15/2008 - 06:40
User Badges:

So all I have to pass is one stream from a CCDP course and it's renewed for 3 years eh?

What sort of length compared to a CCNA module would we be looking at, 2 modules? (I have to try and best plan around my university studies)

Cheers for the assistence mate :)

brianjpisa Thu, 05/15/2008 - 06:51
User Badges:

Yes. However you have to remember this: You can pass all the required test for the CCDP track, but you will not get the certification until you receive the CCDA first - CCDA is a prerequisite for the CCDP. So if you passed all the tests for CCDP and then took the exam for the CCDA, you would actually get both a CCDA and CCDP at the same time.

The first 2 test for the CCDP are BSCI (642-901) and BCMSN (642-812). It just so happens that these tests are also the first 2 of the CCNP track. Passing either one of those will renew your CCNA. Also if you passed both BSCI and BCMSN you have 2 options at that point:

1. Take the remaining two exams for the CCNP track, ISCW and ONT exams. That will give you a CCNP

2. Take the CCDA (640-863) test to give you your CCDA. Then all you would need to do is take the ARCH (642-873) exam and that will give you a CCDP.

sirdudesly Thu, 05/15/2008 - 06:54
User Badges:

So perhaps in the short term (in order to extend my CCNA) I should do a 642-901 "Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks" to leave all my avenues open?

Correct Answer
brianjpisa Thu, 05/15/2008 - 06:57
User Badges:

From what you told me your interested it, that is what I would do if I were in your shoes. If you have the BSCI and BSMSN passed by the time you get a job, it can dictate what path you should choose. If you get a job working with designing networks more, CCDP would be the path to go for. If your configuring and troubleshooting routing and switching more, then CCNP would be more beneficial.

sirdudesly Thu, 05/15/2008 - 07:03
User Badges:

Yep, at the momment I think it's very much a matter of keeping my avenues open.

My university studies are very much related to the other 'side' of IT (much more business orientated) so I like to have a broad field of knowledge and find that my cisco side round it out quite nicely.

vazquez.jorge Thu, 05/15/2008 - 15:28
User Badges:

I took the CCNA about two months ago, they did have wireless topics on there but not voip.

accesshollywood2 Thu, 05/15/2008 - 12:50
User Badges:

I just passed my CCNA and CCDA two weeks ago. Very difficult test, however, just make sure your know your subnetting.

sirdudesly Thu, 05/15/2008 - 16:14
User Badges:

subnetting played a relatively large component in the "old" ccna (which was new when I did it I thought)

Actions

This Discussion