cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Router for Frame Relay + VLan/Trunking.

grichardson661
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Just in process of buying some devices to add to my lab for my CCNA studies. I already have 3 x 2500's, 1 2900-XL switch and a 2950 Switch. What i am after is a router which supports ROAS, Trunking, FastEthernet and a good router for Frame Relay. If anybody can give me some pointers that would be great!

Thanks! :-)

Garry

5 Replies 5

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Garry

You would want to look at the 2620 or 2650 range of Routers to get an onboard Fast Ethernet port.

Alternatively you could pick up a 2610 and add a NM-1FE 2W or NM-2FE 2W card to give you fast Ethernet ports.

I would say that you would pick up a 2620/2650 cheaper than buying a 2610 and adding an additional card. The NM-xFE 2W cards can sometimes be a littel expensive. Have a look on Ebay to get an idea of price. The main requirement is at least 1 Fast ethernet port.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael, thanks for this! When building a frame relay lab how many serial interfaces would you recommend on having? Cheers

Hi Garry

In my own lab I have 2 Frame relay networks. The first is using a 2520 as the Frame Switch and this router has 4 serial interfaces. In this network I have a hub and 3 spoke routers each of which has a serial connection to the Frame switch.

The second Frame network is pretty much the same except the Frame Switch for this is a 4700 router again with 4 interfaces.

4 serial interfaces appear to be the norm until you get to CCIE level, where I have seen 2522 routers used as the Frame Switch and this model of router has 10 serial interfaces available. 2 normal serial interfaces and 8 low speed serial interfaces.

HTH

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael, this is great! Just what i was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Garry

Hi Gary

Glad my posts were of some help and thanks for the rating. Much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Michael

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card