cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Router for Frame Relay + VLan/Trunking.

grichardson661
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Just in process of buying some devices to add to my lab for my CCNA studies. I already have 3 x 2500's, 1 2900-XL switch and a 2950 Switch. What i am after is a router which supports ROAS, Trunking, FastEthernet and a good router for Frame Relay. If anybody can give me some pointers that would be great!

Thanks! :-)

Garry

5 Replies 5

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Garry

You would want to look at the 2620 or 2650 range of Routers to get an onboard Fast Ethernet port.

Alternatively you could pick up a 2610 and add a NM-1FE 2W or NM-2FE 2W card to give you fast Ethernet ports.

I would say that you would pick up a 2620/2650 cheaper than buying a 2610 and adding an additional card. The NM-xFE 2W cards can sometimes be a littel expensive. Have a look on Ebay to get an idea of price. The main requirement is at least 1 Fast ethernet port.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael, thanks for this! When building a frame relay lab how many serial interfaces would you recommend on having? Cheers

Hi Garry

In my own lab I have 2 Frame relay networks. The first is using a 2520 as the Frame Switch and this router has 4 serial interfaces. In this network I have a hub and 3 spoke routers each of which has a serial connection to the Frame switch.

The second Frame network is pretty much the same except the Frame Switch for this is a 4700 router again with 4 interfaces.

4 serial interfaces appear to be the norm until you get to CCIE level, where I have seen 2522 routers used as the Frame Switch and this model of router has 10 serial interfaces available. 2 normal serial interfaces and 8 low speed serial interfaces.

HTH

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael, this is great! Just what i was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Garry

Hi Gary

Glad my posts were of some help and thanks for the rating. Much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco