req adv: best/good directional antenna cisco 1200 AP

Unanswered Question
May 15th, 2008
User Badges:

Cisco AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 Access Point. I was wondering what directional antenna might be well suited to this device.(?) The location of this AP is in a building with lots of thick walls so power and penetration through these (in a specific direction) is my problem.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
scottmac Thu, 05/15/2008 - 15:17
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

A directional antenna "probably" won't help much. There's a bunch of information you did not supply.

How far beyond the wall are you trying to reach?

What is the wall made of, and what does it contain?

Does it ever rain where you are?

What's on the other side of the connection? Another wall with another antenna behind it? What *that* wall made of, and what's inside it?

If any of the answers are "concrete with re-bar" and the distance is more than ---MAYBE --- 300 yards/meters, and it rains there, I'd give it less than a one percent chance.

Without rain, maybe a 3-5% chance.

Shooting through a window, somewhere over 50%, but not much over.

Please provide details, but you "probably" will not get this link, as described, with any of the available antennas.

Good Luck

Scott

tonyspcrepairs Fri, 05/16/2008 - 01:05
User Badges:

thanks for your response Scott.

There are about 5 thick walls between the access point location and the target location, which is about 30 meters away. The walls are concrete, no internal metal. The connection needed is fully inside the building. I too doubt I can get a wireless connection but I have try. I may end up trying those 'network over mains' gadgets if all else fails.

dennischolmes Fri, 05/16/2008 - 05:30
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Scientifically this link is not possible as the client devices will not be able to return data to the AP due to lack of client power and antenna gain. If you add external antennae to the clients with a directional antenna then you might get a 1-2mb link. But, I wouldn't count on it. Why not use a controller based solution with MESH code and use the 1240 series APs in enterprise MESH mode and run a MESH link through a doorway or window? It's your most likely solution in a very unlikely scenario.

scottmac Fri, 05/16/2008 - 11:25
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Wireless is probably not going to do it for you, "Line-of-Sight" is fairly absolute.

Instead of wireless, check with your Telco to see if they can provide "dry loop" or and "alarm wire" circuit between the buildings. Even if you can only squeeze a T1/E1 out of it, I can pretty much guarantee that'll be way ore than you'll get using wireless as you describe.

Dry loop / alarm circuit is literally just a pair (or two pair) of conductors between the building (probably by way of a central office). At each end, you'll need some sort of modem / driver device (like a Black Box T1 Line Driver).

Unless you gain some sort of line-of-sight, this will be your only option.

If you can drill a hole to the outside (at both locations), you can make wireless work ... no LoS, no wireless.

Good Luck

Scott

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode