cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cancelling telnet connections on a 4509 switch

eputman
Level 1
Level 1

Can I get some help on cancelling telnet sessions that are stuck. We have the time out turned off and we have done 15 successful logins but we just timed out the sessions but since the time out is turned off on the switch...well you see problem.

4 Replies 4

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

use the commands "sho line" and see what vty lines are in use. You can then use the commands "clear line vty x" to then clear the inactive telnet session.

Eric

If you follow the suggestions made by Matthew it should work. If I am correct in understanding that all of the telnet sessions are hung, then you do not really need the step with show line. You want to terminate the telnet on all the vty lines so just go through clear line vty x with x from 0 to 15.

I would also suggest that this demonstrates one risk of turning off the inactivity timeout. I would suggest that it is better to configure a timeout that is very long rather than disabling the check for inactivity.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick I aggree with you on the setting a time out if you do just disconnect from the telnet session, but the higher powers that be (My Boss) siad that he does not want to have a time out because he leaves telent sessions open for the whole day. "as I shrug my shoulders and say oh well"

Thanks for the info Rick

Eric.

Eric

I sympathesize :(

Would your boss consider it an acceptable compromise if you set the inactivity timeout to 48 hours (2 days)? In fact the inactivity timeout can be longer than that (max is 35791 minutes).

And if he still wants no inactivity timeout, then you just do what he says, and hope that all the devices are easy to get to their console ports.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card