Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

more hard bounce for invalid user from mail server

Hi guys,

this is my first post, but i have reade more post in this forum.

my questions is:

i have a domain into my ironport that receive more invalid recipient but the hard bouns are generate from mail server after the incoming mail pass trhough ironport.

I don't have a ldap server

you can help me for find a solution for block the invalid recipients?

this is my idea:

create a new dictionary with into all host of the domain and i apply a policy for control this dictionary.

thi solutio have a problem that i must inser in dictionary every new user create in the mail server.

regards

Michele

2 Replies 2

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

This would really be much easier if you had LDAP. If there is any way you could get LDAP to work in your environment, then that would make the IronPort end of things much easier. But if not, then you can do other things.

Using a dictionary as you suggest would work, but it would mean accepting the bad messages and then bouncing them. This is because you can't consult a dictionary during the SMTP conversation. A better solution would be to put the allowable recipients directly into the RAT. That would cause the invalid recipients to be rejected during the SMTP conversation, which will reduce the amount of backscatter you generate.

igor.karasik
Level 1
Level 1

>> A better solution would be to put the allowable recipients directly into the RAT.

That exactly way we use. We have LDAP, but IronPort cannot access LDAP because our internal network doesn't have connection to Internet (and to DMZ where IronPort located)
Therefore we add each smtp address to RAT.