cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

12.2(44) DHCP snooping problems anyone?

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

Anyone else having problems with DHCP snooping on 12.2(44)SE2? Seems to work fine on a 3550 but shuts down all dhcp (without saying it is dropping any packets) in a 3560-48-PS.

I'm interested to know if anyone else can verify this malfunction.

5 Replies 5

I have had the same DHCP snooping configuration for a while and have had no problems moving from IOS 12.2(35)SE through to the latest 12.2(44)SE2. Are you sure you have trust configured on your uplinks and/or the interface where the DHCP server is?

It might be worth posting some bits of the config.

Andy

Yeah I'm sure of that, first thing I checked.

It kills DHCP entirely, not just on snooped VLANs.

I'm working up a stripped down config on a test switch now and will post that.

In the meantime, what platforms are you running it on -- as I said it seems to work fine on the 3550 EMI chassis I have, but not on a 3560 PoE switch, and now that I've started testing, not on a 2960G.

I have 3550's, 3560's & a 3750, all of which are running 12.2(44)SE2 and DHCP snooping is running fine on all of them.

Andy

Have you disabled option 82 insertion? If your DHCP server is Windows 2000/2003 then you need to disable this in global config:

no ip dhcp snooping information option

Apparently Windows 2008 DHCP will support this but nothing earlier.

Andy

OK, nevermind it wasn't the platform. It seems the problem is that if you are using scp:// for the database and the startup transfer fails, it hoses the DHCP snooping system entirely and probably cannot be fixed without a reboot.

Which is probably realted to the fact that you have to init dhcp snooping with a tftp:// database before you can even run an scp:// database.

I'm gonna go bug TAC on this one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card