cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP advice

jonathancert
Level 1
Level 1

I have three WAN sites and cosidering implementing HSRP. Site A is connected to Site B (T1) and C (768K). Site B and C are connected to site D via fiber. I am considering implementing HSRP per interface on B and C because one of the vital equipment at site D requires a static IP default gateway. Never used HSRP before, is there anything I should be concerned about?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jonathan,

first of all HSRP is not a real routing protocol it provides a virtual default-gateway.

You can configure HSRP on D site routers and you can track the state of links between site D-B and site D-C on D site routers.

I would suggest you to have a dynamic routing protocol running on all sites and an horizontal link (can be a different subif/Vlan) on the D site routers so you can offer a default gateway to your equipment in site D and uses dynamic routing too.

In order to be able to communicate via HSRP if you use an ACL for antispoofing on site D client VLAN insert a line to permit destination ip 224.0.0.2 used by HSRP messages.

hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jonathan,

first of all HSRP is not a real routing protocol it provides a virtual default-gateway.

You can configure HSRP on D site routers and you can track the state of links between site D-B and site D-C on D site routers.

I would suggest you to have a dynamic routing protocol running on all sites and an horizontal link (can be a different subif/Vlan) on the D site routers so you can offer a default gateway to your equipment in site D and uses dynamic routing too.

In order to be able to communicate via HSRP if you use an ACL for antispoofing on site D client VLAN insert a line to permit destination ip 224.0.0.2 used by HSRP messages.

hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks this cleared up my concerns.

ariela
Level 4
Level 4

Question: site D is a router dual-homed?

Maybe your topology is like this?

A-----B-----D

\____C____/

or like this?

A-----B-|___D

\____C-|

Regards

Andrea

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card