Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560G-48PS PoE power consumption

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

Below is the data sheet of Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series Switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

Referring to Table 3, the Maximum Power Consumption for Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48PS is as follows:

- 590W (Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48PS)

- Dissipated power: 220W, 690 BTUs per hour

- PoE: 370W

My understanding is, when the switch is powered up, it will draw 590W from which 370W is reserved for PoE, regardless of whether any powered devices are connected or not. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

3 Replies 3

ariela
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

using the Power Calculator I see that a Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48PS Power Consumption with no POE Devices connected is 80W (Heat Dissipation 273,20 BTU/Hr), and the Total POE output Power Available is 370W.

For more infos, please see:

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/launch.jsp

HTH

Regards

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I tried the Power Calculator.

True, like you said, the switch power consumption with no PoE devices is 80W. Can I say that the switch will draw a maximum of 450W (80W + 370W), when it is running full out, and providing the max amount of PoE available (like what Everest mentioned)?

In the data sheet, the maximum power for 3560G-48PS is 590W.

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

everestm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lim,

The 3560G-48PS will draw a MAXIMUM of 590W, including 370W which is dedicated for PoE. Note that this is when the switch is running full out, and providing the maximum amout of PoE available.

Under real-world situations, you'll usually see less of a draw because the system won't be consuming all the power available for it, and you won't be giving out the maximum amout of PoE (if any).

So to answer the question I believe you are asking, then your assumption is incorrect. The switch will not consume the 370W for PoE if there are no PoE devices connected, or if you've disabled PoE.

Regards,

Everest

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card