Advise on CCIE R & S Self Study

Unanswered Question
May 16th, 2008
User Badges:

Hello,

I completed my CCNP about 2 years and I could use some advice on what path to take next. I really want to go for my CCIE. However, my job is only with small business and do not work that often with cisco routers and switches. Here is some of my questions. I have read over the expert forum that is CCIE exams are doable but, access or experience with Cisco 2600, or 1800s per example and 3500s (3560 new) switches would help you to prepare.

I've gone throught the CCIE books list and I'm not sure which books are useful to start with, I will be very much happy if some one can give me some guidelines and information about study materials and books to purchase for my CCIE.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
gpulos Fri, 05/16/2008 - 10:05
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Plain and simple...without actual hardware to train on, test on and troubleshoot on, all the books in the world will likely not be enough to get you passing a CCIE exam.

There are options though. They are not above monetary means but they are not free either.

One excellent option is online virtual racks of hardware. Good online vRack providers give you access to every piece of hardware the Cisco LAB has so you can truly emulate the lab experience.

I've found IPexpert.com to be an excellent provider of ccie self study and online vRacks.

Their R&S line of workboook, proctor guide and vRack are very reasonable cost wise.

(especially when you take into account the small investment amount to the huge benefit of having the ccie.)

There are quite a few others out there that provide these type of services but the one mentioned above has proven themselves very worthy of my money!

svermill Sun, 05/18/2008 - 12:55
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

I wouldn't go as far as to say "without actual hardware..." My CCIE lab "rack" was a Mac Mini running Dynamips and I passed R&S on my first attempt! Well, my switches were 3560-8PCs, but that wasn't strictly speaking necessary. You can do most of your switching preparation using emulated routers populated with EtherSwitch modules and then do rack rentals for the stuff not supported by them.

Having said all that, you are correct in advising this person that without hundreds and preferably thousands of hours on the CLI, chances of passing the lab stand at around 0%. You can certainly pass the written without rack time, but not the lab. No way.

Actions

This Discussion