cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMP save presentations to internal SD procedure

a.banos
Level 1
Level 1

I've the need to send presentations at midnight directly to SD internal memory card in DMP for local play. I'll have a centralized DMM and oover 1000 DMP's over a 380 Kbps WAN link.

They don't want to waste that link for inmediate video (only in midnight)

Is there other procedure to store in SD besides the Manual filetransfer to dmp, and copying the Goto URL generated into the DMP Browser page?

Regards

1 Reply 1

Charles Little
Level 1
Level 1

Perhaps if I understood your deployment situation a little better I could be more specific in my answer, so I am going to assume you are deploying a small box retail digital signage solution over your existing company network. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So the short answer to your question is: yes...but that may not be the correct answer.

Cisco has a product called "Application Content Networking System" ACNS. This application is like a sophisticated FTP program on steroids. It positions your media and applications on edge servers at each location on the WAN so that your applications and videos are sourced on the local LAN, basically automating that process to a certain degree. It is fully integrated into the DMS/DMM application.

Down side of the coin is that it is not in-expensive. Cost per site may not be feasible in a Retail Digital Signage Deployment. If you are a bank or a large box retailer it might not be a problem to the P&L. If you are a small box retailer then it will.

There are definite ways to easily manage your content and not impact network traffic.

Think of centralizing the graphics and HTML files on a central web server and having the applications only reference the large files and video from the SD on each DMP. That way you only have to manage the applications in one location and all you are FTPing to the DMPs are the video files in the late nite time frame.

Manage the "Got to URL" application through the DMM for each DMP and DMP group.

Can one person manage content for 1000 DMPs and the variety that will begin to happen once the system is installed and the marketing managers get creative? HMMM I hope you have supporting staff.

If you would like to discuss your Cisco Digital Signage content strategy in more detail please contact me off line at colittle@gs-comm.com. We can provide virtual support services if needed.