cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote site Management/monitoring:

nickolaskoiser
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client,a financial institution who has a number of sites on its WAN(both branches and ATM sites).All these sites are centrally managed at its headquaters.All the sites have Cisco routers.

I want a solution that can be used to monitor all these sites at the headquaters in real time so that proper action is taken when a failure is noticed on any of the links before service is disrupted.

I'll appreciate greatly any kind of assistance.

4 Replies 4

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

I am not sure I will be able to to cover your requirement fully, but here are my thoughts:

1-if you want real time monitoring, you need a management station with SNMP traps sent from devices as well as polls from Mgmt station.

2- what should you monitor? this depends on how much Mngt you need.

you could monitor WAN links as a minimum, or go as far as monitoring devices loopbacks, BGP sessions, devices exceeding temparture thresholds etc..

To make it simple, you could rely on traps and polls default severity levels and decide what to react on and what to ignore.

I hope the above gives you some guidance.

Pls rate all helpful posts

Sam

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

use whatsupgold from ipswitch.com.

sorry for the ad, but i find it simple and useful

joseph.derrick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Monitoring remote sites/links is made possible through SNMP. You should setup a network monitoring system (NMS) to centrally monitor and manage the device by using SNMP. Please make sure that only network monitoring devices will have an SNMP access (create an access-list) to the devices that you are trying to monitor.

You might be interested with Cacti, this is the frontend of the RRDTool. It allows you to graph the bandwidth, memory, temperature, etc. utilization of the devices that you are monitoring. It also allows you to monitor the latency of the link.

Let me know if you have any other concern.

Please rate if it helps.

Thanks,

Deejay

Hi Deejay,

Let me look at the option of an NMS first-the client is okay with either an HP openview/IBM Tivoli,only that i have never deployed one before.I'll have to get study some guides on this.

Then i will also check out Cacti,

Thank you for your contribution,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: