cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basics: 1861; FXS; FXO, IP Fone and Analog fones

omair.siddiqui
Level 1
Level 1

HI; iam bit new to IP telephony; say i have 1861 router with 4 FXS,4 FXO &8 port PoE sw, i understand that 8 IP fones will be connected to 8 port switch...my questions:

1- Can i plug normal analog fones to FXS (i believe i can) ; if yes than traffic will go to WAN or PSTN

2-FXO will use for what??? Are they serve

for same purpose as PRI's serve but giv

single call facility over WAN/ FXO port

If any body can elaborate when traffic go to WAN and when PSTN??? it really confuses me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
3 Replies 3

Hello Omair,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can plug normal analog phones to the FXS ports on the router. The traffic will go wherever you want it to go, based on the number dialed (dial-peer configuration)

2. FXO is used for the line coming in from your telco. These are standard analog POTS lines. If you have a PRI, then you will have to get a VWIC-1MFT-T1/E1 or VWIC-2MFT-T1/E1 card to support the PRI or PRI's.

3. The phone traffic will traverse the WAN if you have implemented site to site dialing or toll bypass, and you have dial-peers configured, which basically tell the router, when number xxxx is dialed, send this call across the WAN, while you may have another dial peer that states when number xxx-xxx-xxxx is dialed, to send this call out to the PSTN.

Hope that made sense.

thanks kenneth

That helps a lot ..u really made it simpler for me... just need confirmation....as per my understanding

4 FXS: is for 4 analog fones (or other devices)

8 Port Switch: is for connecting 8 IP fones

4 FXO: is for atmost 4 connecion to PSTN

Serial/WAN card: will be used as gateway to route calls over WAN

Plz let me know i am wrong somewhere

You are correct!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: