Helpful
Replies

2 virtual interfaces

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

i have 3560 switch

when i do sh ver it shows

cisco WS-C3560-48PS (PowerPC405) processor (revision M0) with 118784K/12280K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID CAT1033NH2E

Last reset from power-on

2 Virtual Ethernet interfaces??????????

48 FastEthernet interfaces

4 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

and when i do sh ip int brief

sh ip int brief

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Vlan1 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

Vlan2 182.22.77.2 YES NVRAM up up

FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES unset up up

so my question is 2 virtual interfaces

when we do sh ver which are those two interfaces????????????????

does it mean that switch can support 2

virtual interfaces or it can support

2 SVI??????????????????

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"image as IPBase this shows it can work as layer 3 right"

Yes this image will work as L3. All images will support L3 routing. With the IP base you can use static routes or RIP.

Note that the 3560 will automatically route between your SVI's on the switch because they are directly connected.

You may need to enable ip routing ie.

3550(config)# ip routing

Jon

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mahesh

The 2 virtual interfaces are the SVI's (Switched Virtual Interfaces) ie. vlan 1 & vlan 2.

All it means is that you have currently only 2 SVI's configured on the switch. It is not the limit of SVI's, you can configure a lot more.

Jon

Hi jon,

so in this switch i can assign many SVI ?

and give them ip addresses ???????????

is it a layer 3 switch ????????????

thanks

Yes you can assign many more SVI's than 2 and each SVI can be give an IP address. The 3560 will route between the vlans.

Yes the 3560 switch is a L3 switch.

Jon

thanks for reply

how can we check if is layer 3??????

as i know layer 3 has msfc and sh module

command does not work on this switch????

Mahesh

The 3560 is a fixed chassis switch so it doesn't have an MSFC and it won't have modules. Modules comes with modular chassis switches such as the 4500/6500 switches.

So the commands you are trying will not work on a 3560.

But the 3560 is a L3 capable switch. We use them where i work as L3 switches. From the 3560 Q&A

=============================================

Q. What software images does the Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series support?

A. The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series can be purchased with the IP Base or IP Services licenses pre-installed. The IP Base license (formerly called the Standard Multilayer Image, or SMI) offers advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions. The IP Services license (formerly called the Enhanced Multilayer Image, or EMI) provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). The Advanced IP Services license, although not available as a pre-installed option, upgrades Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series switches to include IPv6 routing and IPv6 ACL support. Upgrade licenses are available to upgrade a switch from the IP Base license to the IP Services license or Advanced IP Services license as well as from the IP Services license to the Advanced IP Service license.

=============================================

As you can see even with the IP base image the 3560 can still do routing using static routes/RIP.

Jon

hi

i did sh ver it shows

System image file is "flash:c3560-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4/c3560-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4.bin"

cisco WS-C3560-48PS (PowerPC405) processor (revision M0) with 118784K/12280K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID CAT1033NH2E

Last reset from power-on

2 Virtual Ethernet interfaces

48 FastEthernet interfaces

4 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address : 00:18:BA:F9:9A:80

Motherboard assembly number : 73-9676-12

Power supply part number : 341-0029-05

Motherboard serial number : CAT10325XN4

Power supply serial number : DTH1031ET5K

Model revision number : M0

Motherboard revision number : A0

Model number : WS-C3560-48PS-S

System serial number : CAT1033NH2E

SFP Module assembly part number : 73-7757-03

SFP Module revision Number : A0

SFP Module serial number : CAT10325643

Top Assembly Part Number : 800-25859-03

Top Assembly Revision Number : G0

Version ID : V04

CLEI Code Number : CNMV3N0CRC

Hardware Board Revision Number : 0x01

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image

------ ----- ----- ---------- ----------

* 1 52 WS-C3560-48PS 12.2(25)SEB4 C3560-IPBASE-M

image as IPBase this shows it can work as layer 3 right

"image as IPBase this shows it can work as layer 3 right"

Yes this image will work as L3. All images will support L3 routing. With the IP base you can use static routes or RIP.

Note that the 3560 will automatically route between your SVI's on the switch because they are directly connected.

You may need to enable ip routing ie.

3550(config)# ip routing

Jon

Hi,

On the fixed (Hardware) configuration based switches (Cisco 2960, 3560 or 3750) you can check if it is L2 or L3 as follows:

Issue the Show ver command and if the very 1st line has a word LANBASE then it is a L2 switch, if it has word IPBASE then it is L3 switch with basic Routing protocols (like static + Rip) support, and if it has IPSERVICES then the switch is L3 and has advanced Routing protocols.

In your case it is a L3 switch with basic Routing protocols.

HTH

Shaheen

Hi Shaheen

thaks for great reply

i appreicate

mahesh parmar

Hi Mahesh,

Thank you for using the rating system and thanks for the rating too. This forum is an excellent place to learn and share the knowledge. I learn a lot from here and I hope you will continue your participation in the forum.

Regards

Shaheen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: