User Badges:

Cisco AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9.

I assume:

AIR is short for AIRONET

AP means ACCESS POINT

AG refers to 802.11a and 802.11g

E ? don't know

K9 ? don't know

does anyone know what these letters stand for?

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Rob Huffman Sun, 05/18/2008 - 16:40
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Anthony,

Good question! The "E" stands for the Regulatory Domain that the AP is designed to work in (ETSI) Europe;

AIR-AP1242AG-x-K9

Regulatory domains: (x = regulatory domain)

• A = FCC

• C = China

• E = ETSI

• I = Israel

• J = Japan

• K = Korea

• N = North America (excluding FCC)

• P = Japan2

• S = Singapore

• T = Taiwan

AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9

802.11a/g non-modular Cisco IOS access point; RP-TNC; ETSI configuration

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6521/product_data_sheet0900aecd8031c844.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS: The K9 is just a Cisco Part designation :)

grzegorz.ciolek Sun, 05/18/2008 - 22:29
User Badges:

Hi

As far as I know K9 stands for strong security future in IOS software. So You are not allowed exprot this software to some countries.

Cheers

Greg

luiz.alexandre.... Thu, 06/12/2008 - 07:01
User Badges:

Hi,

Enjoying the discussion, does anybody call tell me what is the difference from "E" or "A" to "T"(Taiwan)? Because we used to order the "E" and "A" but now Cisco has advised us to order "T" here in Brazil. Our Concern is about com compatibility issue when integrating all of equipments at WLC that will be installad until the end os the year.

Tks,

Alexandre

Rob Huffman Fri, 06/13/2008 - 06:00
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Alexandre,

Yes, really an excellent question. You will be fine with the WLC Compatibilityas long as you use Version 4.1 or higher;

Configuring Country Codes

Controllers and access points are designed for use in many countries with varying regulatory requirements. The radios within the access points are assigned to a specific regulatory domain at the factory (such as -E for Europe), but the country code enables you to specify a particular country of operation (such as FR for France or ES for Spain). Configuring a country code ensures that each radio's broadcast frequency bands, interfaces, channels, and transmit power levels are compliant with country-specific regulations.

Generally, you configure one country code per controller, the one matching the physical location of the controller and its access points. However, controller software release 4.1 or later allows you to configure up to 20 country codes per controller. This multiple-country support enables you to manage access points in various countries from a single controller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Although the controller supports different access points in different regulatory domains (countries), it requires all radios in a single access point to be configured for the same regulatory domain. For example, you should not configure a Cisco 1231 access point's 802.11b/g radio for the US (-A) regulatory domain and its 802.11a radio for the Great Britain (-E) regulatory domain. Otherwise, the controller allows only one of the access point's radios to turn on, depending on which regulatory domain you selected for the access point on the controller. Therefore, make sure that the same country code is configured for both of the access point's radios.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.2/configuration/guide/c42lwap.html#wp1147748

Wireless LAN Compliance Status

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps5861/product_data_sheet0900aecd80537b6a_ps6087_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Here is a reference to the Tx Power/Channels for different Regulatory Domains;

Channels and Maximum Power Settings for Cisco Aironet Lightweight Access Points

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/channels/lwapp/reference/guide/1200_chp.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

luiz.alexandre.... Fri, 06/13/2008 - 09:42
User Badges:

Thanks Rob,

I will request a formal explanation about this change directly from Cisco. As a costumer I don't like the idea of having to handle many regulatory domains unless it be really mandatory.

Your answer clarified me a lot.

Alexandre

dennischolmes Tue, 06/17/2008 - 14:06
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Excellent explanation Rob. Also bear in mind that the regulatory code you select on the controller will only accept APs within the selected regulatory domains. A "T" AP on a US controller will not register to the controller and you will see an error in the trap logs.

Actions

This Discussion