Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone CP 7961G and 7911 G problem connect to switch

rechard_david
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

I had Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 series and i had the problem when connect to switch.this model first time for me for configure.I don't know how to connect it?

Do you have any document for this and How to connect it?

Best Regards,

rechard

5 Replies 5

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rechard,

I don't have any documentation, but I do have a fair bit of experience connecting phones - we're running more than 1400 of them at the moment.

What seems to be happening when you connect the phone to your switch? Bear in mind that you either need to have a switch that supplies Inline Power or Power over Ethernet, or connect an A/C adapter to each phone.

You need to connect the "10/100 SW" port on the back of your phone to the switch. If you are connecting a PC to the network via the phone, it goes into the "10/100 PC" port.

Kind regards,

Graeme

Dear graeme,

Thank you for your advice.

Could you tell me you to setup IP adress on Cisco IP Phone? I only see ip address but i can't change it, How can i change it?one more you have a lot of experience about VOIP Could you advice me some configuration on VOIP? i had Router 3825 and module card VIC2-4FXO and NME-CUE.but i don't know how to configure,

Best Regards,

Rechard

Rechard,

OK, so you're starting up a new VoIP system. Are you going to be using a full CallManager server, or are you going to be using CallManager Express (which is based on the 3825 router itself)? Since you're using a Unity Express module, I'd guess you're using CallManager Express.

Typically, the phones should be set up to pick up their IP addressing via DHCP. The DHCP scope can be set up so that the phone collects TFTP server information from the DHCP server. If you need to set it up manually, though, you can "unlock" the settings menu - once you're in the network configuration menu on the phone, quickly press * * # (star star hash) on the phone - you should be able to set up the phone settings manually.

Configure the phone so that it has a unique IP address, and has the correct default gateway - however, if you're using CallManager Express, you'll need to set the TFTP server address to be the IP address of your 3825 router.

You'll then need to configure your 3825 so that the phones can register - the CallManager Express service features a user-friendly GUI for managing your phones and directory numbers. To access it, open your web browser, and browse to :

http:///telephony_service.html

Once there, you will need to add an entry for each phone. To do so, you'll need to know the model of each phone, and the MAC address of each phone. You'll also need to ensure you have a compatible phone load code for each phone (firmware) on the router's flash, so you might want to buy a 128MB flash (the 3825 Voice bundle comes with just 64MB).

Unfortunately, I've had no experience of Unity Express; we don't have any NM-CUE here at all.

I hope this is helpful; let me know if you want me to explain anything further.

Kind regards,

Graeme

Dear Graemeporter,

Thank you for your time and explain me.

I tried to do that you tell me as above for check some setting on Phone i tried to press **# so it unlock but it still cannot change configuration on Phone.

could you let me know how can i setup callmanager on router? i never do it before....

do you have any document for tell about callmanager....

Thanks you for your time and your help:)

Best Regards,

Rechard

Rechard,

**# is definitely the unlock code for Cisco IP phones; if you go into the "Settings" menu, then go into "Network Configuration", you should see a padlock symbol in the top right of the screen.

If you then type **#, the padlock should "open" and the words "Settings Unlocked" should appear on the screen for a couple of seconds. From there, you should be able to change all of the settings.

If you can't change a setting even after unlocking it (say, the IP address or TFTP server addresses), then you need to change another setting before you are allowed to change this one.

For example, you don't have a DHCP server, but you can't change the IP address - you need to find the "DHCP Enabled" option and set it to "No" before you can set the IP address.

With the TFTP server option, you need to find the "Alternative TFTP" option and set it to "Yes" before you can set the TFTP server address.

With regards to configuring the CallManager on the router - are you able to access the GUI on the router via your web browser (using the instructions I gave you on my last post)?

If you can't, we need to check that your router has the necessary files loaded into its flash.

If you can, then I'll try and find some documentation for you on how to use it.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco