Router 2821 or 3825?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Imagine I need to provide a router to connect to:

Port fa0/1 (10Mbps)

Port fa0/0 (100Mbs)

Port e1/0 (10Mbps)

in addition, I need to connect this router to a 10Mbps MPLS circuit.

Which router model should I consider? I thought about the 3825, but it seems the 2821 can do the job as well?

How about 2851?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

Either of the 2800 series routers you've mentioned can support your two FE ports, E1 and 10Mbps MPLS.

You don't necessarily need the extra power the 3825 provides to accomplish that.

Please see the following link for 2800 series comparisons:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_models_comparison.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

It really depends on what other functionality you want to provide. If all you want to do is provide IP connectivity between four networks (an MPLS cloud, a site on the other end of an E1 circuit, and two networks via 10/100 Ethernet) then the 2821 should be fine.

If you want to provide Voice over IP functionality (either as an SRST gateway for a Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster, or as a stand-alone CallManager Express instance) on top of this, or you expect utilization to be very high, then you might want to consider the higher-spec 2851 or 3825 routers.

These routers are more expensive, but this is due to the added functionality they provide, and the added routing and voice capacity they can provide.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

Either of the 2800 series routers you've mentioned can support your two FE ports, E1 and 10Mbps MPLS.

You don't necessarily need the extra power the 3825 provides to accomplish that.

Please see the following link for 2800 series comparisons:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_models_comparison.html

Great link. Thanks all.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card