Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting WLC to 6509 Core ... Connectivity Issues

mjohnson1914
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have all four ports of a 4404 WLC connected to a 6509 via fiber cables. However, I am not able to ping the WLC or see it.

I have a couple questions about this ... First, if I want to do LAG it is necessary that all ports are active and plugged in, correct?

Second, in the switch config, to my knowledge all ports should be trunk ports, however the customer has configured them as "switchport trunk encapsulation isl" instead of "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" ... does this matter? I have never used the isl command so I am really wondering if this is supported in the WLC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

The controllers do not do isl. You will need to change the encap to dot1q. Also, in order to support LAG, the switchports will need to be setup in etherchannel

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

The controllers do not do isl. You will need to change the encap to dot1q. Also, in order to support LAG, the switchports will need to be setup in etherchannel

Thanks ... is LAG something that is recommended? Also by etherchannel do you mean configuring port channel?

You can do it either way. I do not use Lag currently on my 4402 controllers, instead, I use two ap-managment interfaces.

Yes, etherchannel reference = portchannel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card