cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from Windows based Call Manager to Linux based Call Manager

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

We have a Call Manager 4.2 in our IPT lab that is covered for software upgrades. Is it possible to upgrade from a Windows based version of Call Manager (4.2) to a Linux based version of Call Manager (5.1). I think the answer is no, but I want to verify this. Can someone assist?

Thank you!

Rgds,

Victoria

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you don't mention the exact release, check this table:

Table 4 Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades for Release 5.x and Release 6.x

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp1268956

it's possible but you need to check you're on the latest release for the train you're on

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

Hello,

We currently have the windows based version of Call Manager 4.2. We want to upgrade it to the Linux version of Call Manager 5.1. Is that possible or do we need to start from scratch with the 5.1 release?

Thank you for your response.

did you read my previous response and the link?

it is possible, but you only mention 4.2, if you have 4.2(1), you cannot upgrade

if you have 4.2(3) you can upgrade

from which release to which release the upgrade is supported is on the link, please take some minutes to read it

you can use DMA (Data Migration Tool) to take the config from 4.2(3) to a 5.1(x) release.

during the install you will be asked if this is a fresh install or an upgrade, if you select upgrade then it will ask you for the tar file the DMA creates

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

You can use DMA to export your 4.2 database to TAR file

acquire the correct media from Cisco for the upgrade (Through Product Upgrade Tool (PUT) They will ship you the bootable 5.1 or 6.x media for your upgrade. (hence your smartnet Contracts are up to date, entitled to upgrades etc)

Once you have the media, follow the installation guides. When prompted for the TAR, just point it to the FTP server where it is located and it upgrade the 4.2 information to 5 or 6.x cucm.

Hope this helps

Hi Victoria,

Just to add a note to the great info from Jaime and Tommer (5 points for each of you two NetPros)

This upgrade is most possible but I think you would be well served to skip CCM 5.x and go straight to CCM 6.x as the "feature set" in 6.x expands on the 4.2 train. I think 6.x is probably a little less buggy as well :)

Upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(2) from Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_2/upgrd612.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you for the feedback. We need to mimic our production environment in our lab and we are currently running Call Manager 5.1(2)in production.

Thank you again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: