cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGA What is it?

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone explain what MGA is? I searched the manuals, forums, and internet for what it is and couldn't find it. I must be the only person that doesn't know what it is. :cry:

Thanks IRONPORT Nation!

7 Replies 7

shannon.hagan
Level 1
Level 1

One of the older names for the C/X series.

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

THANKS,

When I do a STATUS DETAIL command I see a CPU Utilization and I see:

Total 27%
MGA 14%
Anti-Spam 13%
Anti-Virus 0%

And I am wanting to know what MGA is and stands for...

MGA = Mail Gateway Appliances

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/procurement/itcd/2006-33_IFB.doc

karlyoun
Level 1
Level 1

THANKS, 

When I do a STATUS DETAIL command I see a CPU Utilization and I see:

Total 27%
MGA 14%
Anti-Spam 13%
Anti-Virus 0%

In this context MGA refers to the % of CPU used for pushing messages through the appliance (connection handling, content scanning, filters...). As the above example shows, it's everything that isn't Anti-spam or anti-virus.

It can be useful in troubleshooting workqueue backup, to see what your appliance is spendig most if its time doing.

-karl

If MGA take very high CPU, what can I do to check which process take most of in MGA?

Hello,

You might get some further information from looking at the System Capacity reports in the GUI. This would be under Monitor --> System Capacity --> All. You can also check 'displayalerts' from the CLI to see if any weird errors have popped up that may be inline with when you're seeing the CPU spikes.

As a general note, the CPU on the ESA/Ironport devices will spike under normal operation. This would be typical behavior and is nothing for concern unless you're starting to see performance impact and it being spiked on a consistent basis.

The only way I know to track the culprit down further (well, the easiest) would be to open up a Cisco support case and enable remote access to the device. From there, we would be able to pinpoint at the process level what is causing high CPU usage and can make further recommendations.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Referencing my comment to your other post which provides some further info : https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13164626/esa-mga-take-cpu-high#comment-11712106

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the explanation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: