Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing vlan traffic with Metro Provider

connectone
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all:

I will soon have a trunk configured with a metro provider so they can pass vlans from my customers to my network. I will be using a 3560E switch and want to know if I could enable a vlan interface without having to actually utilze a physical port to that vlan.

Right now if I do not assign a physical port to a vlan, the vlan interface show up but protocol is down. For some clients I do not need to use any physical ports as I am just routing traffic received on the trunk link to a different vlan on the same switch. So those vlans don't need to really use a physical port.

This should be possible to do right??

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

the vlan interface will be in a up/up state automatically or is there more to configure then that?

As long as you don't prune that Vlan on the trunk, it should work as I described.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can have that Layer3 Vlan interface in up/up state with a switchport configured as trunk and that vlan in forwarding state within that trunk.

HTH,

__

Edison.

So what you are saying is that once the dot1q trunk is configured with the metro provider, the vlan interface will be in a up/up state automatically or is there more to configure then that?

the vlan interface will be in a up/up state automatically or is there more to configure then that?

As long as you don't prune that Vlan on the trunk, it should work as I described.

HTH,

__

Edison.

bmcginn
Level 3
Level 3

That's what he's saying :)

joseph.derrick
Level 1
Level 1

The interface and line protocol comes up "up/up" also by creating a virtual interface and assigning it an ip address.

Example:

interface vlan 500

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

Please rate if it helps.

Thanks,

Deejay

The interface and line protocol comes up "up/up" also by creating a virtual interface and assigning it an ip address.

Sorry, but that's incorrect. The SVI (Switch Virtual Interface) relies on a physical port being on active state (up/up) that belongs to that Vlan or a trunk configured on that switch with the Vlan in forwarding state.

If the example above worked for you, most likely you have a trunk on that switch and Vlan 500 is in forwarding state. You can verify this behavior with the show int trunk command.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco