cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with 3750 as Gateway

JPVarichione
Level 1
Level 1

On a single LAN with two independent IP networks, will a 3750 switch used as the gateway keep traffic between networks off of the router? Can a single switch (or stack) be configured as gateway for each independent IP network?

3 Replies 3

connectone
Level 4
Level 4

the 3750 lets you set ports up as router ports by using the no switchport command. I would take two ports, set them up as router ports and have one setup for independant IP network A and set the other to independant IP network B. You only require one Vlan so all other ports would belong to the single Vlan you had mentioned.

Make sure IP routing is turned on and set the routes for reachable subnets over the two IP networks so your single vlan could interact with systems behind those networks.

So the 3750 can be a gateway as long as IP routing is turned on and you add the appropriate routes (static or with a routing protocol).

Hope this helps. If you need help with commands let me know.

JPVarichione
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks

Joseph

I am not clear what you mean when you say:

"On a single LAN with two independent IP networks"

if it is a single LAN then to me that suggests that there is a single VLAN. And I do not see how you are going to associate 2 routed ports with a single VLAN.

And from a topological perspective I am not sure that if they are in the same LAN/VLAN that two IP networks can really be independent. They would be in the same broadcast domain and therefore not fully independent.

Perhaps you can clarify what your topology is and what you are attempting to accomplish. Then perhaps we can provide better answers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card