Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I get router to log denies?

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a cisco 877 I wish to log any denys to the router, is this possible.

It's logging notifications at the moment to a syslog server. I just need to log any denied attempts?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

%SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGNP is an informational message so you need to set your syslog server to informational.

For your ref

alerts = 1

critical = 2

errors = 3

warnings = 4

notifications = 5

informational = 6

debugging = 7

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

muca
Level 3
Level 3

Do you mean for each deny rule on your access-list?

If yes, you can use the keyword "log"

access-list 101 deny tcp 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any eq ftp log

Right I have managed to get this list on the termin monitor, it a failed ssh session:

May 20 10:39:18.322: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGNP: list 50 denied 0 192.168.61.77 -> 0.0.0.0, 1 packet

But my syslog server is not showing it. The syslog server is set to notification, do I need to do anything elase?

%SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGNP is an informational message so you need to set your syslog server to informational.

For your ref

alerts = 1

critical = 2

errors = 3

warnings = 4

notifications = 5

informational = 6

debugging = 7

Jon

Thanks for your help, I added a deny ip any any atthe bottom of one of my access lists which controls inbound access and it's amazing how many denies pop up from external ip's on varius ports like, telnet, ssh http.

Do you know the command (when in console mode) to stop alerts like denys flood in while i'm typing and instead wait till I'm finished?

Thanks

you can use the logging synchronous command which affects the display of messages to the console.

When this command is enabled, messages appear only after you press Return

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_9_ea1/configuration/guide/swlog.html#wp1027065

Narayan

router(config)# no logging console

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card