Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth restriction on Ethernet Port

ccie_india
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

In Cisco 4500 series switch is it possible to limit bandwidth for Gibagit ethernet port? For example port gi 1/0 should have only 5 Mbps upload and download speed

Thanks and Regards

Prabu

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Prabu

Yes you can do this by policing the traffic on the interface. Have a look at this link which shows you how to do it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800946e9.shtml

Jon

hi jon,

Thanks for the URL. I am not familiar with QoS . Can you provide me a config for ingress and egress policing on Gigabit interface 0/1 . the IP connected with the port is 192.168.1.10. The user will have all kind of access ( Http, SMTP, HTTPS, POP3 etc)

Any simple config for me to apply them on the switch?

Regards

Prabu

try this:

rate-limit input 5000000 620000 620000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output 5000000 620000 620000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Hi Pravin,

Will the config limit 5 Mb of upload and Download on the port?

Can u gibe idea on what is 620000 is for?

Regards

Ram

The 3 values are as below in cisco.

bps : - Average rate in bits per second. The value must be in increments of

8 kbps.

burst-normal: -Normal burst size in bytes. The minimum value is bps divided by 2000.

burst-max:- Excess burst size in bytes.

The most important thing in this one is to remmber that the normal and max burst are calulated in BYTES.

so the statement means 5 meg,Noraml is 5 Meg, Above 5 Meg drop.

hope this helps let us know i may be wrong but it does work fine for me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: