Views
Helpful
Replies

Show Run & Show VLAN Questions....

jknipp208
Level 1
Level 1

On a CAT2950G24 switch, .....

I can enter the command show vlan and everything is fine, however when I enter the show run command the vlan definitions are not being displayed. The switch has several servers connected to it and is functioning properly. But why can't we see the vlan names on the show run command?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I asume that all switches that show vlan configuration in the running config are running in VTP transparent mode where as the one that does not show vlan information in running config is set to VTP server or VTP client. Do a `show vtp stat` to see if this is the difference.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Pravin Phadte
Level 5
Level 5

The vlan information is stores in vlan.dat file.

You will not able to see the the vlan config in running config.

check show flash: and you will find the vlan.dat file.

I agree that I will not be able to see vlan config

The show run command lists the names of the vlans. I've done this on other switches.

That's what is not being displayed.

I think the vlan.dat may be corrupted.

may i know the ios used on this switch. Do u have any other switch with the same ios faceing this problem ?

IOS: flash:c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA9.bin

This is the only switch with this problem.

thanks

I asume that all switches that show vlan configuration in the running config are running in VTP transparent mode where as the one that does not show vlan information in running config is set to VTP server or VTP client. Do a `show vtp stat` to see if this is the difference.

That was it!

The vtp operating mode was set to server. I changed it to transparent and I can now see the vlans names.

My thanks to you and the other person who took time to respond.

good info mermel.

Sorry to reply to an almost decade old thread, but it seems like this is still the case today.

Is there any explanation as to why this works like this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: