cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port keeps err disable because of printers on other floors

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

This morning, I had a switchport go into err disable state. I checked the log and the err-disable was caused by a printer on a different floor. I cleared the mac-address sticky and it went err-disable again. I checked the log again and the mac-address causing the issue was a different printer. This has repeated 3 times more with a different printer everytime. Connected to the port is a 7941 phone with a PC connected to the phone.

Has anyone have any ideas? Weird? I am running c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-25.SEE2.bin

All closet switches connect to a 4503 switch.

3 Replies 3

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

It seem pretty clear that the issue is been caused by the printer and making the ports it is connected to goes to err-disable, the (show interfaces fastEthernet [port] status err-disabled) will allow us to know what is causing the port to go error disable.

You are probably violating the allowed mac address entries for your port-security quota.

Check to see how many devices are connected through this port and do n+1. It seems like when your printer responds to an arp broadcast, the switch records the mac-address and your port-security shutsdown the port due to the violation.

When you fix the problem you can also setup err-disable recovery, so it re-enables byitself after x amount of time.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com

m_zabetian
Level 1
Level 1

please try to add this command at that port

switchport port-security maximum 2 (or 3)

I possible because of cisco phone you reach to your MAC limit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card