cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.2.1 Message Delivery

btmulgrew
Level 4
Level 4

Hi - We have Unity 4.2.1 UM with E2K3 integrated with CCM 4.2.

I understand from CCO docs that when messages are left, they are temporarily stored on the Unity server then routed via the partner E2K3 MTA to the appropiate subscriber mailbox. Does anyone have information as to what AD attributes are used for this message delivery?

We are moving our Exchange environment to a new Forest / Organisation and will be re-routing email from the legacy domain using the targetAddress attribute on user objects.

Is it possible to still route voice messages to the legacy partner Exchange server with this attribute in place? This is to allow user to (temporarily) retrieve vmail from the TUI until we build a new UM server in the new forest.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Im not sure about the approach you are trying to use. Unity will be able to drop the messages it records into the MTA folder for transfer, the problem is that will not have MWI and probably a few other important features. Unity needs to have access to the message store for MWI, message counts, etc.

If you only have one unity server, you will have to schedule downtime for voicemail. There is no way around this that I can see. If you are staying with the same domain and Exchange Org, you would be ok. But since this is a completely new enviroment, you will need to re-install Unity for it work correctly. renaming servers, and removing/adding to domains is not recommended.

Here is what I would recommend

- If you can purchase a new Unity server. You can re-use this as a failover server in Unity if you like later one. Install the new server in the new domain. Get it all connected, tested, etc. you can do DIRT export from old server and DIRT import to new server and you will significantly drop your down time. Reinstall the old server as a failover server in your network.

If you can not purchase a new server, you will need to backup the entire server, run DIRT and export the database for Unity.

Re-install Unity into the new domain and Exchange org. DIRT import the Unity database and everything should work.

Of course, follow the guides for DIRt and the rules you need to follow such as Unity versions, SQL versions, accounts, etc. You can even use it to re-map Exchange alias to new alias addresses if you are doing this.

hope this helps

Hi - Thanks very much for your response.

We are looking at a way to temporarily use the current Unity / Exchange integration as a voicemail only system until we can build a new Unity server in the new forest / org (due to migration timescales).

Stage 1: Mailboxes are copied to new forest / exchange org (with no Unity installed due to timescales)

Stage 2: AD accounts in current forest / org have targetAddress attribute updated to point to new exchange org - all emails to this user object are then forwarded to the new exchange servers.

Since the mailboxes will be retained within the existing Unity partner Exchange server is it possible to continue using this as a voice mail only repository?

I guess Im confused here. I cant tell if you are:

- going from Voicemail only to Voicemail only

- going from UM to voicemail only

- or some other mix.

If Unity is the same domain as it's partner Exchange server, it will deliver voicemails to that Exchange server. (Need to have accounts, mailboxes, etc) Once the voicemails are on that Exchange server, you can route them anyway you want within Exchange. So as long as the AD accounts and Exchange Mailboxes stay there, you can use that as a repository while you build out your domain/etc.

Once you have your domain up and running, migrated, etc... you can use DIRT to export the voicemails and database, rebuild Unity in the new domain, then use DIRT to import all the temp voicemails, and SQL database.

I think you could also, may have to test this, if Unity takes the message, and the Exchange server is offline, it will store the messages in it's local MTA. You could copy those over to the other exchange server and see if it picks these up and delivers them. Not sure if that will work or not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: