cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the file structure for all LMS functions.... more

philip.r.hayes
Level 1
Level 1

We have a really weird situation. Of all our CW/RME servers, one was not set up correctly. All of CW was installed under the "root" filesystem on Solaris instead of building a filesystem for the CW directories. The problem is that as disk space is used up by CW, it affects the root filesystem. Last week we made an attempt to "tar" the files/directories, create new directories in a filesystem outside of the root system. But after restoring the tar files and bringing CW back up, quite a few things didn't work right. has anybody had experience with this? For example, what are all the apps and the paths that we need to tar.

Our concern is that we might need to reinstall CW... yikes!

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you will need to completely reinstall LMS to move it to a different directory structure. If you do not install it under /opt/CSCOpx, a symlink will be created which points /opt/CSCOpx to the installation root.

I knew this was going to tricky to explain. What was done by the sysadmin was to create filesystems for the CW directories under another filesystem other than root. Then, when CW was installed it installs under those mounted filesystems. That way, as drive space is used up under CW, it doesn't diminish space under the root filesystem. That was done for all our CW servers but one. That's the one I'm inquiring about. I apologize if we are actually talking apples to apples but I want to be sure we are.

Other than /opt/CSCOpx and /var/adm/CSCOpx, are there any other directories that CW either creates during install or points to? If it does point to other directories, does it do it as "relative" or "absolute"?

What we originally attempted to do was create and mount the /opt/xxx and /var/adm/xxxx directories under another directory outside of root and then un-tar the CW directories into the new ones and then fired CW back up. Of course it didn't work and that's where we are at now.

Almost all customers create separate file systems for CiscoWorks. On our lab machines, I have setup /opt/CSCOpx as a file system and /var/adm/CSCOpx as a file system. This works just fine.

CiscoWorks will also create some files in /etc/rc.conf.d, /etc/opsxml, and /etc/init.d, but not enough to make any of those separate file systems.

CiscoWorks also references /tftpboot (or whatever is configured as /tftpboot in /etc/inetd.conf). This directory can be a symlink to somewhere else if desired.

You will run into some problems if you make /var/adm/CSCOpx a symlink, so I encourage you to not do that. Making it its own file system is fine.

Your situation now calls for a reinistallation once you have created your desired file systems.

Why? I guess I'm curious as to why stopping CW, then creating the filesystems, tar'ing the old directories, and then un-tar'ing into the new directories fails.

I'd hate to lose the configuration archive history. Also, reinstalling could be a major problem. Originally it was installed as LMS 2.5.1 and then upgraded to 2.6.

We are also approaching end of support next year so reinstalling is not where we'd like to go.

BTW: the SA that set up this server left the company so we can't beat him up. Too bad.

If the new file systems will be in the exact same locations as the directories were before (i.e. /opt/CSCOpx and /var/adm/CSCOpx) then you shouldn't have to reinstall. Shutting down dmgtd, then taking a tar copy of both directories should work:

cd /opt/CSCOpx

tar cEpf /backup/CSCOpx.tar .

cd /var/adm/CSCOpx

tar cEpf /backup/var_CSCOpx.tar .

Once the new file systems are created (make sure you have 0755 permissions on the mount points) restore the tar files:

cd /opt/CSCOpx

tar xpf /backup/CSCOpx.tar

cd /var/adm/CSCOpx

tar xpf /backup/var_CSCOpx.tar

If you're going to relocate /opt/CSCOpx to, say, /apps/CSCOpx, then that would require a new installation to fix issues in the package database.

That's exactly (I think) what we tried and failed at; and is why I've got this thread going.

BUT, what we're not sure of is whether the file/directories were tar'd correctly. I met with the SA yesterday and he's going to revisit his steps and see if tar did get all the files or not. the good news is that it doesn't hurt to experiment a bit.

I made a mistake in not capturing the error that I got when we brought up CW in newly created filesystem. But, I do recall wondering about how CW uses JAVA. Does it install it's own version under a CW directory or does it install it for the entire system and then use it? If it installs its own version, is it possible that somewhere in the java code, there is an absolute reference that would fail if run from a different filesystem? I may not word this correctly but I think you get the idea.

Thanks for your help.

CiscoWorks uses its own Java, and the code assumes /opt/CSCOpx exists. It doesn't care if it's a file system or a directory.

The tar commands are very important You MUST create the tar files with cEpf to maintain extended attributes and large file sizes as well as maintain permissions and modification times. The files must be extracted with xpf. As I said, as long as the real path of NMSROOT remains the same as the original (e.g. /opt/CSCOpx), then this should work.

So the CSCOxx directories in /var/sadm/pkg/ do not have to be lifted to the new box?

Now, I was under the assumption that this was the SAME box just with new file systems for /opt/CSCOpx and /var/adm/CSCOpx. If this is a new box, I go back to my assertion that LMS needs to be reinstalled from scratch. Once that is done, then an LMS backup from the old server can be restored.

Sorry, my question was based out of my curiosity. It has nothing to do with OP's scenario. I got the impression the message I posted under was talking about all the directories/files LMS would touch. I just looked, and didn't find /etc/opsxml on my LMS 2.6 box. Is this specific to LMS 3.x?

Yes.

Actually, we are not moving to new hardware. We're trying to move the CW directories out from under the root filesystem to its own.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: