Configuration Register

Unanswered Question
May 20th, 2008

I was asked recently about where the configuration register settings were stored within NVRAM.

It is my belief that it is stored separately from the startup-config as when you set it to 0x2142 it bypasses the startup-config so it couldn't have looked in there for the config register settings.

So does anybody know the name of the file and exactly where it is stored?

Regards

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Cowsika S Dasarathan Wed, 05/21/2008 - 00:18

Depending on the hardware type, each device will have hardware and software configuration registers, while most of the devices have only software configuration register also referred as virtual configuration register.

The hardware configuration register is an 8-bit mechanical switch located on back panel of some devices. The 16-bit software configuration register resides in nonvolatile memory. The hardware configuration register setting has priority, and will override software configuration register settings if a conflict arises.

So to answer your query, when refer where it is stored, you are referring to software config register located in nvram

LordFlasheart Wed, 05/21/2008 - 00:51

Thanks for the reply. Is the software configuration register named as a particular file e.g. conf-register.cfg or something like that?

Actions

This Discussion