cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Making the Cisco Catalyst 3560G Switches Power Redundant

Punit Patel
Level 1
Level 1

How can i make the Catalyst 3560G Power Redundant. Is it possible to add an additional Power supply?

5 Replies 5

Wantser1981_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

These are not chassis based and have a single fixed power supply. Another cannot be added.

The only way to make this redundant to an degree is to ensure you are going through a UPS. This will help if you have a power failure outside of the switch, but if the power supply goes pop in the switch, I am afraid its time to replace.

Depending on what you have plugged in to that switch, if you have devices with redudant NIC's you could upgrade to 3750's and stack them so that two switches are seen as 1 switch. This could provide you with redundancy if one switches power supply breaks down.

Depends on the NICs and redundancy software on the end devices as well though.

We do that here and it works seamlessly.

Andy

Hi Punit,

Why don't you look for Cisco RPS. Have a connection to the RPS coming from a different power source and let the RPS act as a backup in case th epower source for the switch goes down or in case the internal power supply fails.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7148/ps7130/product_data_sheet0900aecd805bbef6.html

-> Sushil

Hi Sushil,

I am intregued by these. I have read about them, but I must admit probably skipped over parts and assumed this was a Cisco UPS type system.

How do these connect to the switch without going through the power supply on the switch?

It doesnt seem to give that info.

Thanks

Andy

On the 3750's there is a seperate DC input in addition to the AC input that all switches have. On the RPS there are 6 of these DC outputs. So basically you wire your switches to a UPS or power outlet like you normailly do and then you have an additional special RPS DC power cable that goes to the RPS.

The pinouts on the special RPS cable are here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/power_supplies/rps675/hardware/installation/guide/rpscable.html

Ah, roger that!

Many thanks

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: