cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing internet traffic within BGP cloud

chuckholley
Level 1
Level 1

I have a global MPLS BGP network. At this time all of the international sites have local internet access. So BGP handles all the corporate WAN connectivity and a default route to the local firewall handles the internet connectivity.

I was asked if I could route a particular office's internet traffic over BGP to another larger office.

My BGP cloud consists of RFC1918 addresses,(my office LANs) and my ISP's public addressing for WAN connectivity,(address provided by ISP for eBGP peering with their edge routers).

How can I send non corporate WAN traffic into the cloud to a particular office firewall on the office LAN?

Thank You

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Chuck:

If I understand what you;re saying correctly, you want to eliminate the local Internet connectivity at the remote international offices, and instead have them all access the Internet through one particular site. Yes?

Is it as easy as removing the default routes at each site's Internet firewall, and injecting a default route at the Internet firewall located at the site that you want to act as the Internet access point? This way, all user traffic, whether heading for corporate LAN/campus or heading to the public Internet, will ride the MPLS cloud.

Have you thought of this approach?

Victor

OK, so to answer your first question, your close. Except, I do not want all of my international sites to ride the MPLS cloud for the internet. In fact, I just want one site at this time to ride the MPLS for internet.

My typical configuration for each site is this. The router is the gateway for the LAN. The router terminated the MPLS, and on the router I have BGP running. On the router I also have a static gateway of last resort set to the local PIX at the office for internet connectivity. So if the route is not found in the BGP table, it goes to the local firewall.

For this one office, I would like to route both corporate and internet traffic over the MPLS, and the internet traffic to go to a specific office that is connected via MPLS.

HTH

Chuck

The way that was described will not work with the current architecture of my WAN.

Thanks, please read previous reply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card