cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet access dies after 30+ minutes

sirdudesly
Level 2
Level 2

A bit of a wierd one tonight guys, basically I've got a 1803 sharing a cable connection (provided from a motorolla surfboard, using all the default settings) using PAT. Everything works perfectlly initially, then after a while DNS lookups stop functioning correctly for no reason that I can see, what's even more bizaar is that the router can still successfully complete a look up but if I do an nslookup in windows it fails.

My configuration is fairly basic at the current stage, just straight PAT and the SDM defaults for the "enhanced" firewall.

My router is offering up DHCP leases, with import all used to forward dns specifics (ip dns spoofing doesn't appear to make a difference)

So does anyone have any idea what I could check or what could possibly be causing it to fail after a while, strange thing is it works perfectly for a while (even when using a wireless access point as well - removing it makes no difference, it's set to be purely an AP and extend the switch on the actual router)

So if anyone has any ideas what I could verify that would be most handy.

Basically my configuration is a basic pat, dhcp and default SDM firewall. I can provide my specific configurations if that helps

4 Replies 4

PAUL TRIVINO
Level 3
Level 3

Assuming the router is getting its cable-sde IP from DHCP, throw a PC on instead of the router and see if IT does the same thing after 1/2 hour. That might help to see if it's the provider or your stuff.

Paul

That works perfectly :(

muca
Level 3
Level 3

What is your IOS version? Have checked for bugs?

Don't know what it was but I did a reload reconfigured it and now it works perfectly, odd.

I don't have an active CCO to upgrade the IOS anyway :(

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco